• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will I regret going 15x7 versus 15x8 wheels?

supark

NAXJA Forum User
I am lusting over some 15" crager soft 8s. However, I'd like to reuse the tires on my current factory (hideous) 15x7 wheels as they still have a fair bit of tread left. Question is will I regret going 7" wide versus 8" wide? This car is meant to be a daily driver and will not hit the trails at all, so focus is on street drivability, all weather traction, gas mileage, etc. Looks and stance on the road though are important to me as well. Also, on a red cherokee what do you guys think in terms of finish - chrome or black? So to reiterate, should I get 15x7 versus 15x8 wheels based on the folloing criteria:

• Looks
  • Affect on gas mileage
  • All weather traction

How big of a tire are you planning on running? If its under 31 go with a 15x7 since most of those tires call for around a 7 in wide rim.

Depends entirely on tire size.
If you are running stock size tires, stick with 7's.
10.50, it's an either or. 11.50 or wider, go with the 8's.

Nick

sweet thanks guys - looks like I'm going with the 7s then with 4" backspacing.. now I'm just need to figure out if I want chrome or black..

Yeah, plus the black is cheaper and easier to refinish should I decide I want to go another color or they get damaged at all... damnit so tempting - I still can't believe that I can get a set of nice wheels for my cherokee for ~$200. So 4" backspacing is about right though?

Yeah, plus the black is cheaper and easier to refinish should I decide I want to go another color or they get damaged at all... damnit so tempting - I still can't believe that I can get a set of nice wheels for my cherokee for ~$200. So 4" backspacing is about right though?

Welcome to the world of Jeeps! :D If i were you I would go with wheels with about 4.75" of BS....... oh wait i did that already. :D

Here is a pic:
S7300607-2.jpg

235/75/15 Treadwright MT's on 15x7 soft 8's with 4.75 BS

Since they are 235's i did have rubbing on the flares when stuffed or going over a big bump fairly fast. To solve it I put an AAL in the rear to raise it 2.5 inches. The front is still stock height but since she's gonna be paid off in the next few days its about to change. I have a set of coils and disconnects ready to go on as soon as i get another track bar. I would think if you went with the 4" BS you'd probably rub a lot more on stock suspension than I did but it really just depends on the Jeep. As of now I have Zero Rub at full lock, when fully stuffed or when going over bumps.

Back