• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Evaporator FoamTray

DanDXJ

NAXJA Forum User
2001 XJ - I am in the middle of replacing the A/C evaporator ( Real Fun Job). I finally got the evaporator/heater housing removed. The foam tray under the evaporator has disintegrated.
How critical is this to ensure proper condensate drainage? Can I just leave it out ? Where can I get a replacement or should I try to fab one out of some old foam packing?

Thanks

DanDXJ

Wow! Pretty big job. You do want to do it right. I worked for a HVAC supplier to the OEMs recently and that foam is a pretty big deal. We had warranty issues involving odor and corrosion of evaporators and some of it was tied to the foam insulation wrap. I would look in a Home Depot or whatever insulation supplying house you have available. You want to use closed cell material so that it won't absorb too much water and put it on to allow drainage paths. Leaving it out could cause vibration noise within the housing and would also cause more condensation on the housing like a toilet tank in a hot humid house gets from the cold water running in.

2001 XJ- A/C Evaporator . As a point of clarification I am refering to the styrofoam tray ( Like a drink cooler material) on the bottom of the evaporator. I used a hair dyrer and was able to salvage the adhesive backed sealing foam. I want to know if proper drainage will occur if I leave the styrofoam tray out.

Thanks

DanDXJ

Back