• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what degree shims should I order?

Semper Fi

NAXJA Forum User
I got an angle finder today and this is what I came up with. My driveshaft angle is 17 degrees and the pinion angle is 8 degrees. I have been told by several people that the pinion angle should be 2 degrees below the angle of the driveshaft, is that true? If it is do I order a 6 degree or an 8 degree shim? One garage told me that I should be ok with a 1 degree shim. I'm so "F"ing confused and at this point I'm not sure what to do. Can you guys please help me out. I have a 2001 Cherokee with an Auto trans, 4.0L, 8.25 rear, a RE 3.5 superflex, an SYE, and a Tom Wood's shaft. So as you can see I'm trying to build this thing with the right stuff, just this one has me confused.

the math tells me 8 degrees, but I would go with the 6 degree. The most important part is keeping your diff lubed. Regardless, I would overfill your diff a little after you are done. If you have the money buy both sets, never hurts to have them on hand just in case the 6 degree doesnt work for you.
How bad are your vibes now?

the vibes aren't to bad. they start at about 25 to 35 and start again at about 50. I might order both sets of shims and then return the ones I don't use. Is there anywhere you could recommend to order them from? I was going to order them fro RE, there are about $31 a set

I would look at local spring or axle shops, they should have them cheaper than RE. If your vibes are not that bad then I would use the 6 degree shims to see if that helps. Good luck.

No more than 6*,you get about 1.25*-1.5* of net change with an SYE kit,so a 6* shim will "net" about 9* of change!

cocoloco said:
i have 4.5 re lift. with sye ,6degree shims ,no more vibes

Same here.

RCP Phx said:
No more than 6*,you get about 1.25*-1.5* of net change with an SYE kit,so a 6* shim will "net" about 9* of change!

If this is true should I just order a 4* shim? would a 6* shim be to much? Would it be bad if I ordered a 6* shim and got an angle of say 18* at the pinion and 17 at the driveshaft? If I get the 4* shim and get an angle 14*, or there about, would that be better than ordering a 6* shim and taking the chance of being greater than the driveshaft?

I'm in Lewisburg. can anyone give me an answer to my questions? I would like to order the shims as soon as posible, tonight if I can. Thanks

I would love to see a picture of you holding a angle finder on the driveshaft and a picture of you holding the angle finder on the rear pinion yoke then it would be cake to know what to order

Semper Fi said:
If this is true should I just order a 4* shim? would a 6* shim be to much? Would it be bad if I ordered a 6* shim and got an angle of say 18* at the pinion and 17 at the driveshaft? If I get the 4* shim and get an angle 14*, or there about, would that be better than ordering a 6* shim and taking the chance of being greater than the driveshaft?
YES!

I now had RE4.5 with I believe 4 degree shims, and nothing, now at 5.5 with 4 degree shims, and still, I am not noticing any vibes, Shouldn't your SYE have gotten rid of it all more or less?

ok I went to order 4* shims and they want to know if I have 3/8" or 5/16" center pins. Does anyone know what I have or how I can tell? I have a 2001 with the 8.25 rear.

RE uses 3/8"

scoobyxj said:
Survey says........ernt!

Cry 8.25 5/16"
Dana 35 3/8"
Dont quite get your post,but all factory springs are 5/16".Alot of aftermarket springs like RE (like He's running) use 3/8",axle type doesn't matter.

I hate to tell you this, but you won't really be able to tell what shims you need until you get the axle bolted up and measure it. I have 5.5" lft in the rear, a 242 t/c with tom woods sye and I don't use any shims, went from 6* to 4* to 3*, even 2* and was still getting vibes. Now no shims = no vibes. Remember every XJ is different.

Back