• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The obligatory: What do you have to do to the jeep? thread.

Fred

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Let's see those lists.

Mine:
Change oil.
Change front diff fluid.
Clean air filter.
Empty and clean blow-by catch can.
Clean Jeep.
Change out front springs.
Change out front shocks.
Change out tie rod ends.
Change out tie rod end on track-bar.
Adjust pinion angle to get rid of vibes.
Adjust toe-in.
Adjust track-bar length.

Between rain storms, I've managed to get the heep up on jack stands in the parkway, sprayed the air filter with cleaner, emptied and sprayed the blow-by catch can and filter, taken off the old shocks, springs, tie-rod ends, tie-rod end on the track bar, and installed new 4" spring and Bilstein shock on the driver's side. I am having an issue with the axle mount of the trackbar, I think the metal sleeve in the bushing has fused to the bolt, but if I can get the nut back on it shouldn't matter. Hopefully, tomorrow I can get the passenger side spring and shock on, tie-rod and trackbar. Proper adjustment can wait till later, since I have Sunday dinner to cook, and fireworks to shoot off illegally for my 92 year old mother who is about to go into a nursing home.

On the plus side, the M416 is ready to go and 50% loaded with gear for the trip.

Fred

Gets worse the longer it sits I swear..........

-Weld front axle truss and add bracing
-Front axle seals
-Front and rear brakes (left front caliper is bound up hard, rears have squealed for a long time)
-New heims for steering and rear upper control arms
-Install belly skid
-Replace radiator
-Rebuild coil over shocks and find someone with Nitrogen to fill 'em back up....:dunno:
-Paint front axle
-Replace starter (bad flat spot - gotta carry a hammer now....)

Who knows what else....... :rolleyes:

so far, this is all i really need
clean it inside and out and underneath... just got done with a trip to the sand
replace both diff fluid with royal purple full synthetic
check brakes for wear scratching noise.( only happens on one part of the rotor/ drum)
buy/install 2" coils
buy/ install 3" leaf pack OR 2" shackle and PRAY i dont need a SYE on my 2000
weld nuts to unibody so i can bolt my rear bump stop back on
take off flares and trim up fenders.
buy new windshield, mines cracked half way across now
buy new wheels with better offset
replace driver side power window controls so all my other windows will work too
buy/build roof rack
replace exhaust with something not rusted...
rear brake line from front to rear is magically rusted
build a swing out tire carrier that fits in hitch.
buy front recovery points
get aftermarket diff covers
skid plates from Front to Rear
need rock sliders.
lockers front and rear (selectable if possible)
joking but seriously... replace every nut/bolt under the jeep cuz it came from michigan

im not asking for much but eventually this is what i'll need :gee:

eventually after i pay off my xj, i will be going with the treks 5.5" y link with coil over conversion for the rear's... my CC can only take so much abuse =/

• Change oils.
  • Fix two tires of their slow leaks.
  • Check brakes, drivers rear is making a noise, hope it's not the drum e-brake (pads are easy, theose shoes are a bitch).
  • Maybe splurge and get a new air filter.
  • Clean the crap outta the bed of the tow rig.

I know what I said, your sick for what you thought.

Nothing! Everyone who knows me knows I only do maintenance on the trail. :) :)

Seriously though last year for Moab I straightend just about everything out and I have wheeled only a few times since so I should be good to go. Just waiting to start heading out.

B

Nothing! Everyone who knows me knows I only do maintenance on the trail. :) :)

Seriously though last year for Moab I straightend just about everything out and I have wheeled only a few times since so I should be good to go. Just waiting to start heading out.

B

Well crap - you just cursed yourself....... :D

At least keep an eye out for glowing rooster-tails of sparks and check those brake lines one last time........ :laugh3:

Pretty much nothing - just lube it and look it over.Everything else I needed to do I did over the past 2 weeks to get it ready for my 4th of July Moab trip.

-Change/check all my fluids. Yes, all of them.
-Grease everything greasable.
-Get my stiffeners burned on (should be tomorrow).
-Figure out something for sliders.
-Maybe make a skid or two.
-Undo whatever that damn mud did thats making my rotors squeak whenever I move.
-Think about and possibly act on thoughts about stiffening up the front end.
-Fix my wipers in case of mud.
-Get a hold of an air mattress to stick in the rear (with the seats down too, of course).
-Buy a gas can or two and figure out where the hell to tie it down to.
-Figure out that strange ticking noise that comes when the engine is cold and I fire it up.
-Maybe make some larger wheelwells. Maybe.

Last edited:
Amazingly enough I got everything done except cleaning it out. I'll take it on a quick trip to Monument and back tomorrow. If it makes that with no issues, should be good to go.

Fred

I need to make it shut off when I turn the key off. Thinking kill switch. I am getting a little tired of getting shocked pulling the wire off the distributor. Then there is a whole list of other stuff I want to do.

If its after 3:30 give me a call and stop by to see the new place.

I'll give you a call tomorrow, I'll be in the Honda though. The Jeep did fine, drives nice, relatively. Managed to get the nut on the axle side trackbar bolt tonight, and adjusted the rear brakes. Let the kid drive it tonight.:shocked: Didn't do too bad.

I am trying to decide if I am going to put in the wristed radius arm before I leave.

Ok, well I got the necessities done except for swapping the radiator - will do that Weds AM and then I'm off!

-Brakes are done (although the pedal is still squishy after lots of bleeding.....)
-The bad coil-over has been rebuilt, both re-charged with 80 lbs of Nitrogen
-All the heims/joints were checked. Although one on the track bar and one on the hydro assist ram are questionable, they'll hold for this trip...... I hope.
-Front axle truss is reinforced and uber-welded now.

P1012085.jpg

P1012088.jpg

I'll be hoping to arrive around 6pm........ :party:

Back