• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box grinding problem, need help ASAP!

HeavyMetal

NAXJA Forum User
so i just replaced my old steering box with a spare one i got. its installed and i filled the power steering fluid through the reservoir.i turn on the jeep, and i get this awful noise the second the jeep is on, i turn the wheels and it basically wont turn and the noise just intensifies. im not positve its a grinding, more like a whining really, but not the type you get when its low on fluid. it isnt a constant whine either, maybe like a whining/binding sound. did i just waste all that time and money on tools and stuff to get it off and get a shot box? or is there something im missing?

yo man i dunno if this helps or not but someone rebuilt theirs and the pitman gear or shaft or whatever the hell it was was stripped or knicked or something and it was a total waste of a rebuild because of it search on here for steering box rebuild

and now a new discovery. i looked in the reservoir, all of a sudden all the fluid in there is a brown color instead of the blue i put in before i started it 3 times and tried it

Back