• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick - Window Help Please

49erRider

NAXJA Forum User
Well I have a little problem.

My front driver window always trys to keep going up even when the window is at the top. Well to fix this I ordered the steiger kit.

Well when I took it all apart my window regulator looks fine. It seems I have a "beefier" part from jeep rather than a plastic extension.

I'm thinking I don't need to fix the part but the question is what else could be causing the window to keep wanting to go up?

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

I'm in the middle of fixing it now so any response would be awesome!

Thanks

Brad

Do you mean if you lower the window and release the switch, the window goes back up on it's own? Did you change out the switch?

No, it's the problem where when you raise the window the motor keeps going when it reaches the top. There's no cut off to say. Sorry if this is crude I'm on my phone.

If you release the switch it will obviously stop but when it reaches the top you hear the loud grinding sound. This was supposed to be the fix for that, but mine doesn't seem to be broken.

Well I went ahead and put it together and atleast it still works even if it does grind at the top. The metal piece was easy to remove but it was impossible to get that plastic shrouding off of the spiral cable. I've never heard or seen this so anyone else have this set up?

The Steiger kit is intended to fix the problem of the window falling down into the track and not coming back up. This would be due the part that engages the spiral breaking off. As you noted, yours was fine.

Your symptom is completely different. As fas as I know there are no limit switches to stop the motor when it reaches the extremes.

How is it different from the other windows? How long has it been doing this? Why would you continue to raise the window when it's all the way up?

The Steiger kit is intended to fix the problem of the window falling down into the track and not coming back up. This would be due the part that engages the spiral breaking off. As you noted, yours was fine.

X2, it fixes a broken window bracket. Your problem sounds like you stripped a gear in the drive motor. Regulator replacement is the only fix I know of for this. If it still has enough bite to raise and lower your window, I'd say don't worry about it for now.

The motor isn't supposed to stop running when the window hits the top. On a good regulator, it just sounds like it stopped because it can't push any further. You're only hearing your motor continuing to run because the fact that it is stripped out allows it to.

Typically the window bracket is the weak link. After repeatedly trying to force the window past the closed position it eventually breaks and your window falls into the door. This is what you buy the Steiger kit (or cotter pins) for. However, since you have the "beefier" window bracket, it seems the drive gear in the motor has become the weak link.

Moral of the story is there is no shut off feature so you need to let go of the window switch as soon as the window hits the top. Try forcing one of your other windows motors that's not stripped. You'll notice that even though you don't hear the motor running, your interior and instrument panel lights will dim due to the draw of the motor trying to run.

Mine was doing this, but only on the way down. Take the fuzzy cable out and switch ends with it. It gives it a new surface to work off of. If this does not fix it, I think I read on here somewhere how to move the motor in closer to the cable, by drilling out the rivits and slotting the holes. If that doesn't work, you're going to have to change the regulator.

Probably going to have to do a new regulator. That new "beefy" design doesn't allow you to remove the cable.

49er, what year XJ did your window regulator come out of? I'm guessing '00 or '01? I want to know what year to keep an eye out for so I can get those window brackets.

Well it was a bummer on the Steiger kit. I could have sworn I read that somewhere on their site that was the fix. Oh well.

Anyways out of a 2000.

I'll keep it so that way if I buy a crappy regulator I can fix that one.

if you look very carefully at the cable in the area that would be engaged by the gear in the window full up position, you will probably find the spiral wire flattened by wear. This allows the gear to slip on the cable wire creating the noise you hear.
You need to remove the cable from the housing and twist the cable180 degrees with two pairs of vise grips in order to get the gear to ride on the unworn side of the cable. this has to be done in the area of the cable that does not go into the gear.
good luck
Joe

49er, what year XJ did your window regulator come out of? I'm guessing '00 or '01? I want to know what year to keep an eye out for so I can get those window brackets.

Don't count on it....my 2000 had the same crapass plastic part. The OP probably had his replaced by the previous owner if there was one.
The steiger kit works very well for it's intended purpose not to mention saving you at least $400
btw, switching cable ends should help the problem
good luck

Back