• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

police interceptor

BillDunn83

NAXJA Forum User
does anyone know how i can verify that i have a police interceptor jeep? or does anyone know of a place i can find the specs on it?

thanks does anyone know where to find the specs on it like gearing hp and soforth

Do you have a metal barrier behind the front seats? :D

Do you have an extended idle switch or a 120 mph speedometer?

Also, check for holes in the roof where a light bar or antennas may have been mounted.

dont have the barrier but i do have the ext idle and the 120.

A simple SEARCH on NAXJA will provide all the details on your Police Package Cherokee. All the usual questions have been asked and answered and using the advanced search will bring the info to the top. Your HP and gears are the same as any other Cherokee.

Click here for more info - http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349

A simple SEARCH on NAXJA will provide all the details on your Police Package Cherokee. All the usual questions have been asked and answered and using the advanced search will bring the info to the top. Your HP and gears are the same as any other Cherokee.

Click here for more info - http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349
this is about the third thread of mine that someone has said this... I obviously know how to use a seach engine and this particular one is not that great... I found a thread just by looking page by page and to test the seach feature i typed in exact words and the thread did not show up so before you state the obvious know that all of us are not morons. thanks for the help by the way.. oh wait NM you are useless.

this is about the third thread of mine that someone has said this... I obviously know how to use a seach engine and this particular one is not that great... I found a thread just by looking page by page and to test the seach feature i typed in exact words and the thread did not show up so before you state the obvious know that all of us are not morons. thanks for the help by the way.. oh wait NM you are useless.

No comment on whether or not your jeep fits the bill...

I will agree with you that the search engine here sucks. I often use google because this one is so limited.

Try This:
www.google.com>> intitle:police site:naxja.org

NB: While the "Police" XJs were available, none of them were actual "Interceptors."

An "Interceptor" is usually a stripped-down body and a high-powered engine, and they're usually good for 180-200mph if necessary (160 is no problem.) XJs just aren't built to go that fast.

The "Extended Idle" switch simply bumps the idle up to 1200rpm or so (you may have figured this out already) to allow full output from the alternator, the alternator should be upsized (you may have the 136A ND version, 117A at the least,) and the "cage mod" (metal divider) wasn't necessarily mandatory, so its presence/absence isn't really an indicator. The 120mph speedo and Extended Idle switch are probably more reliable as indicators.

However, running the VIN is probably the most accurate way to find out.

Also note that just about any "Police" issue vehicle will have an automatic transmission, but will not have the floor shifter. It will have the column shift instead, freeing up the top of the transmission tunnel for the radio & light control console.

usually a discoloration to the paint that you can read where it once had the word "police" on it is a great indication.

NB: While the "Police" XJs were available, none of them were actual "Interceptors."

An "Interceptor" is usually a stripped-down body and a high-powered engine, and they're usually good for 180-200mph if necessary (160 is no problem.) XJs just aren't built to go that fast.

it was also the model offered by ford as a version of the Crown Vic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Crown_Victoria_Police_Interceptor

never seen it used in the context of anything but the ford though

I typed "police package specs" and found a couple of threads listing the specs, and how to identify one. Maybe you're doing it wrong?

does anyone know how i can verify that i have a police interceptor jeep? or does anyone know of a place i can find the specs on it?

The police model? I can't imagine any XJ being considered an interceptor. Maybe 100 years ago. :D

it was also the model offered by ford as a version of the Crown Vic.

proprietary name as far back as the late '50's. Badged "police Interceptor" on many Fords including (but not limited to) Galaxy, Fairlane, and LTD, and powered by numerous engines: FE family- 352CID, 390CID, &428CID; 385 family: 460CID; and most recently, the 4.6l 287CID plant.

this is about the third thread of mine that someone has said this... I obviously know how to use a seach engine ....... .

Click on Advanced Search, type in police, limit the results to titles only and to tech forums and I get 16 threads. I obviously know how to use a seach engine ......

oh wait NM you are clueless.

Click on Advanced Search, type in police, limit the results to titles only and to tech forums and I get 16 threads. I obviously know how to use a seach engine ......

oh wait NM you are clueless.

Being that your a site supporter shouldn't you be taking the high road?

Now you look just as childish as he is.

And by the way, the site search does suck. You have to limit things and play with wording and settings to get an accurate search. A simple modification to the board improves the search feature 10 fold. I have it on my board for Ranger based vehicles.

XJ Interceptor (LOL) That sounds like an oxymoron like "government assistance" or "military intelligence". About the only thing one could intercept would be a Suzuki Sidekick. They could also probably also overtake hikers. About like Crown Vic Interceptors. A big 230 HP engine. The days of the high powered police cruisers are long gone, due to liability issues.

Back