• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

UCA bolts

fasteddieyj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to replace the stupid torx bolts on my UCAs because one of the heads is starting to strip out. All I can find locally are some grade 8.8 bolts at the local tractor supply. Are these strong enough or do I need to try and order someting else. TIA

they'll be just fine IMO.
I replaced all my suspension bolts with some gr8's just this last year... makes for easier work next time you want to change anything too.

All I can find locally are some grade 8.8 bolts at the local tractor supply. Are these strong enough

NO!!! metric 8.8 bolts are roughly equal to standard grade 5's. a metric 10.9 is just slightly weaker, but compareable to grade 8. a Gr.8 3/8" bolt can replace the stock 10MM unit and is alot easier to find/replace.

huh, read that wrong, just saw gr8 and never looked back.

x2 above

Go to the junkyard and look for an older XJ (Pre 97 definitely) and they don't use the torx UCA bolts on the axle end. Grab the bolts from that if you can.

That's what I did.....no problems!

Stock control arm bolts are 10.9 which is basically grade 8, by the way.....

Go to the junkyard and look for an older XJ (Pre 97 definitely) and they don't use the torx UCA bolts on the axle end. Grab the bolts from that if you can.

That's what I did.....no problems!

Stock control arm bolts are 10.9 which is basically grade 8, by the way.....

Wrong. My '90 had the Torx bolts along with the D30 from an '88 that I swapped into it. Maybe you just got lucky and got bolts from a rig that someone swapped the bolts already.

Weird, neither of my '99s had Torx bolts. They did have the flag bolt where the tap captures on the UCA and stops itself from spinning.

Wrong. My '90 had the Torx bolts along with the D30 from an '88 that I swapped into it. Maybe you just got lucky and got bolts from a rig that someone swapped the bolts already.

X2. I ended up saying screw it and chopped off the old bolts with a grinder and went into my local bolts/nuts store and handed them the broken pieces telling them to "Give me the strongest closest bolt to this with a big washer", problem solved.

~Scott

Picked up some 3/8 x 3" grade 8 bolts with washers and lock washers at the tractor supply place this morning. The driver side I had done in literally 3 minutes, and then spent the next 45 mins - 1 hr screwing with the passenger side trying to get it out. Just couldn't find that sweet spot. Finally gave up for the day. Will get it done one evening this week. Thanks again for all the input.

Really? My 95 didn't have the torx and neither do most of the older ones I see at the yards. I know they are the original bolts because they have the tab on the bolt head that grabs onto the stock control arms to keep them from spinning.

I know all of the Grand Cherokee's and newer XJ's that I see at the yards do use the torx though but I haven't seen an older one with torx yet.

And no it is not the same bolt as the body side UCA bolt. Yes it does have a tab as well but the tab is not bent on the small size and the bolt is longer. Additionally the head of the body side UCA bolt is longer itself. Not the same bolt. I suppose you could use one for the axle side of the UCA too though, it shouldn't be too long not to work!

but do note that 3/8" is slightly smaller than 10mm. so it is possible that bushings could wear faster due to there being a smaller bolt in the hole that has some 'slop' you could say. just a thought

but do note that 3/8" is slightly smaller than 10mm. so it is possible that bushings could wear faster due to there being a smaller bolt in the hole that has some 'slop' you could say. just a thought
X2,get the proper hardware!

Actually found the correct ones at of all places Advanced Auto. None of the other places in town had them (Napa or the good little mom and pop stores).

Yeah they were probably like $1.99 for a pack of two. That place is such a rip off for bolts. Just today I needed 5/16"-24, 1 1/4" long bolts and they would have been $1.99 for 2 grade 5 bolts. I got 6 grade 8's at Fastenal for under $1.75.

Yeah they were probably like $1.99 for a pack of two. That place is such a rip off for bolts. Just today I needed 5/16"-24, 1 1/4" long bolts and they would have been $1.99 for 2 grade 5 bolts. I got 6 grade 8's at Fastenal for under $1.75.
Got 2 bolts, 2 nuts, and 2 lock washers for like $2.75. TSC probably would have been $1 if they had then in the bulk area.

I think TSC's grade 8's are like china's version of bolts or something because I have snapped them off way before they should have. That place is such a fake. It's like an upscale Harbor Frieght.

Back