• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Random connected problems? -A/C, Aux fan, transmission

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
Pulled these codes from my Jeep (96 4.0, AW4, NP231, 33s, 3.55s) a while back.

P1491
Manufacturer Contrl
Auxiliary emission controls

P0443
EVAP Emissions
Control System Purge
Valve C Fault

It still runs fine, idles smooth, etc. However, the A/C quit, the aux fan quit, it runs warmer than before (I have a toggle on the aux fan now so I can at least turn it on) and the transmission doesn't downshift into 1st like it used to. Generally it's always downshifted from 2nd to 1st right at 25 mph. Now if I pull it back to 1-2, it's kick down to 1st at 35, and shift back to 2nd at 30 where it stays until I stop. If I take my foot off the gas to coast, the rpms drop down to idle, even if I'm still cruising along at 50.

I found a post of mine from 4 yrs ago with the same problem. The answer turned out to be a short somewhere that when fixed made it all go away. Stupidly, I didn't bother telling future me what the short was. Any ideas? It's getting ridiculous driving this thing with no A/C in 110* weather (that's only going to get hotter). :D

I found a post of mine from 4 yrs ago with the same problem. The answer turned out to be a short somewhere that when fixed made it all go away. Stupidly, I didn't bother telling future me what the short was. Any ideas? It's getting ridiculous driving this thing with no A/C in 110* weather (that's only going to get hotter). :D

Sounds like your past self was a little "SHORT" cited. :D

It's hot here too, 100-104. My AC works, but it tries to boil over the cooling system if I use it, so it's not much use to me right now.

Good luck with yours. Sounds like you figured it out once before. No doubt you will figure it out again, just be sure to post the answer this time for next time!:laugh3:

Was it a short, or a bad ground last time? If it was a short, check fuses, and check fuse links, ignition switch & wiring, and relays. Check the FSM for common power feed or other wire to all of those.

Back