• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Non race Suspesion Setup

XxTwItChxX

NAXJA Forum User
What front and rear suspension setup would you recommend for pre running (hauling through the whoops) and some mild 4x4\rock trails.

Just looking into getting a XJ and building a non race legal jeepspeed toy for the desert. Switching over from a Suzuki samurai rock crawler.

If you have any other advice or parts list that you would suggest please fell free to give me your 2 cents.

Thank you for any help.

aim for conventional 1700... but better. you will quite soon find yourself jeepspeed illegal. and going faster
you gotta know where to fallow conventional wisdom, and where to deviate... cut corners in the wrong place and you end up burning the jeep to the ground.... smashing your skull into a part of the rollcage, or both.

For the front i would definatly do a long arm. Thats going to give you the smoothness and travel you need for running fast and the flex for trails. Get some good shocks and look at trusses for both axles. That should get you started.

For starters if you are on a budget instead of going long arm just keep the short arm and get the drop down brackets for the arms. They help the ride alot, keeps the factory geometry of the suspension. They are available from a number of companies for alot less than going longarm. If you are doing trails I wouldnt suggest it though because they get in the way and hang you up with ease. Ive been running them for 4 years and love them and Im sure if you ask around everyone else would suggest the same

the 1714 rig has short arms, and i think also leading in points. for coils you can run deaver, but they are sort of stiff.

Kinda spendy too. I think that the zj skyjacker coils with a couple coils cut out work good. Correct me if Im wrong I just remember hearing something.

If money is not an issue, longarms are the way to go. I've had good luck with rubicon coils, 4.5" is rated at 180in/lb. I'm kinda spoiled bc i went from stock to longarms, so i don't know how shortarms ride/handle. The only downside i see from longarms is that it limits uptravel... Around 4.5" coils is the minimum to get 'decent' uptravel... unless you get creative and notch the the frame a bit.

Deavers are that stiff at speeds, they are made for wide open desert and trails or crawling. They work when needed for what they are designed for. Not throwing out numbers but my new deavers are actually stiffer than what the production jeepspeed springs are

If money is not an issue, longarms are the way to go. I've had good luck with rubicon coils, 4.5" is rated at 180in/lb. I'm kinda spoiled bc i went from stock to longarms, so i don't know how shortarms ride/handle. The only downside i see from longarms is that it limits uptravel... Around 4.5" coils is the minimum to get 'decent' uptravel... unless you get creative and notch the the frame a bit.

Uptravel will be limited depending on what shock you use too. I have the 2.5x10" FOAs up front and they have a larger body then most all 2.0x10" so you lose possible uptravel there. If I did not have glass up front I bet the uptravel would be about right considering I would get into the fender with the tire.

I am not sure I understand the up-travel issue. I run a four link and it cycles about 11inch's, The diff will hit the oil pan way before the arms hit the frame.

Scratch what the zj guy said! In reading some of the builds here, most of you run 5.5-6" coils so it wouldn't be a problem getting 10+ inches of travel that JS allows. With 5" or so of uptravel...

MY problem is that i want to go lower, i'm currently running 4.5 coils with a 10" shock and i only have about 4" of uptravel. I want to lower the cog, but i don't want 2-3" of uptravel. Sorry about the rant!

Don't worry so much about the up travel vs. down travel thing...Our jeepspeed car is almost sitting on the hydro 4" bumps all the way around, and we can hang with the fastest of the jeepspeeders. Having less up travel in the front will set the front end higher through the woops. Instead of having the suspension absorb that first hit and make your nose low into the next one, you want the nose high and skip the tops of woops.

-Dan

Don't worry so much about the up travel vs. down travel thing...Our jeepspeed car is almost sitting on the hydro 4" bumps all the way around, and we can hang with the fastest of the jeepspeeders. Having less up travel in the front will set the front end higher through the woops. Instead of having the suspension absorb that first hit and make your nose low into the next one, you want the nose high and skip the tops of woops.

-Dan

That makes allot of sense. Never thought of it that way

Back