• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Superior Axle Seals

mikes offroad

NAXJA Forum User
I have torn up the superior axles seals in my Dana 30 twice. I have purchased the replacement ones #HS-41541 twice and it is getting old quick. Has anyone taken the time to measure the outer axle diameter and the inner dimensions of the seal and tried to find a different style of seal. You know something like maybe an axle seal out of lada or something has the dimensions we need. I would think that they would be a lot stronger than what superior keeps sending me.

Your eating them up because there is no "seal surface" for them to ride on.You could pull the shafts and polish the area they ride on!

Do you keep them greased? With what grease (synthetic, regular, viscosity)? I'd suspect that the cold environment you're in might have something to do with the short lifespan. Mine have lasted almost 2 years now.

Here's the original designer/manufacturer of that product: http://www.sealsit.com/

Superior originally was purchasing through Seals-It and later decide to have their own made off-shore. Lawsuits ensued.

I talked to a real helpful technician @ Seals-It a number years back that gave me a real interesting history of the product and described how Chrysler did a bunch of testing to determine the best type of grease to use with the product. Their recommendations were counter to what I would have assumed. I would give them a call and describe the problem you're experiencing, perhaps they'll have some suggestions as to why it may be ocurring.

When I spoke with them they seem to indicate that the seals are high mileage units (might have indicated 100K miles) but you're aren't using their product so YMMV. I can't remember exactly how much mileage mine have on them, but I would guess around 40K+.

Thanks for that link, I'm interested in their new economy inner seals, I will have to do some measuring.

I read somewhere that the outer seals will not work, at least on the passenger side, for the D30 CAD, I think I will give them a call to check that out.

Thanks for the link I will check it out. As for prepping the axleshaft I did clean it up before installing the seals. Maybe it does have something to do with the -45 degree weather. I ran synthetic grease in just like everything else on my Jeep (motor, tranny, t/c, and diffs) I was just thinking that maybe there would be a seal out there with the same dimensions that could be placed in there that was a little stronger (for my temperature) Guess I will have to grab a CR Seal book and start doing some searching. Thanks again

Back