• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE with no lift

silentfurymm

NAXJA Forum User
Searched, couldnt find the answer.

So my 5.5 long arm RE lift kit arrived last week (thanks FullsizeXJ), and now Im trying to figure out the best way to tackle it. I also ordered a AA SYE and Tom Woods and I will be putting it on at a friends house because he has a garage. Anyway, we thought it might be best to tackle the SYE first, so I can still drive it home, and then do the lift kit. Fullsizexj has told me that after I get the SYE and lift kit installed I will have to measure from the output shaft to the axel to get the proper length for the Tom Woods which will then be shipped.

Question is, can I install the SYE, and still have enough length in the stock shaft to rehook it and drive home? Then come back and install the lift, after which I will leave the Jeep at his house and wait for the new shaft to ship. FWIW the Jeep has 1" TNT lift shackles and ZJ coils in the front right now. The Jeep is a second vehicle so I dont need to drive it, but I dont want to jam friends driveway any more than I have to.

I'm pretty sure you won't be able to install your OEM driveshaft after you install the SYE. If you want to install the SYE before the lift leave the rear driveshaft out and put it in 4H and drive it in front wheel drive.

I picked up a XJ, auto trans, front drive shaft from a pick a part JY for $25. Can't he use something that after the SYE is installed and until his new drive arrives from TW?

In addition, then he would have a trail spare.

Or could he just move the front driveshaft to the rear for a couple of days?

Just a thought.

I didn't think about swapping the drive shafts. If he has an automatic he probably could. But if he's just a driving a few miles I'd do the front wheel drive thing.

I didn't think about swapping the drive shafts. If he has an automatic he probably could. But if he's just a driving a few miles I'd do the front wheel drive thing.

This. Do the SYE, leave the rear D/S out and drive it home in 4-hi to do the lift.

on the flip side, the SYE will be much easier to do with a 5.5" lift...

Be careful with the throttle. Driving normally you will be doing burnouts at every stop in FWD.

If you have to wait and order the TW shaft, in theory you can just pick up another front shaft and run that (so you can drive it normally until you get your TW shaft.

My brother had his rear driveshaft out for a while while he was working on his 9" swap. Drove from Rochester NY to MD on the highway, and around for probably another week before putting the rear back in. No ill effects.

First After you do a AA sye you need a new drive shaft. I would take your front drive shaft out. Four bolts at 10mm is all you have to take out. Easy as pie. Then you don't have to worry about driving in 4WD and doing donuts.
Stock drive shaft. The piece you are looking at is the joint and how far it sticks out from the NP231.
IMG_1962.jpg

This is not a SYE, But you get the idea. Look at how far it sticks out.
IMG_1965.jpg

Think about losing about 3-6 inches from where they bolt up Don't know the exact number inches. This might also help you on SYE http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=974256 .

I second driving it in front wheel drive.

I drove for over 500 miles in front wheel drive with mine.

Be careful with the throttle. Driving normally you will be doing burnouts at every stop in FWD.
SPOBI.

So my 5.5 long arm RE lift kit arrived last week (thanks FullsizeXJ), and now Im trying to figure out the best way to tackle it. I also ordered a AA SYE and Tom Woods and I will be putting it on at a friends house because he has a garage...

You ordered the new shaft before you installed the lift?

You just guessed at the length you'll need?

:dunno:

Robert

You ordered the new shaft before you installed the lift?

You just guessed at the length you'll need?

:dunno:

Robert

Maybe read the whole post before quoting.

Fullsizexj has told me that after I get the SYE and lift kit installed I will have to measure from the output shaft to the axel to get the proper length for the Tom Woods which will then be shipped.

I have a manual, so I guess Ill just run the front drive shaft for a couple weeks.

Eat it. I had crap for traction. Which should totally be expected with FWD. Maybe I have a heavy foot, but driving "normally" I had trouble not spinning a tire when leaving from a stop. I did it for a couple days and didn't get used to it. Poor traction and I didn't like how it felt in turns. I could not tell a difference at all on the highway.

Last edited:
Eat it. I had crap for traction. Which should totally be expected with FWD. Maybe I have a heavy foot, but driving "normally" I had trouble not spinning a tire when leaving from a stop. I did it for a couple days and didn't get used to it. Poor traction and I didn't like how it felt in turns. I could not tell a difference at all on the highway.

So every front wheel drive car should be spinning tires taking off from a stop? Why should it be "totally expected in FWD?" This all does not make sense.

Were your tires completely bald? Sorry dude, but I have driven in front wheel and did not peel out at all. I had no problems with it. As you said it could be your heavy foot. What gearing did you have and tire size?

4.56 and 33's was perfectly fine for me.

Back