• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission help

bhamer2

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 xj with the 4.0 liter and the aw4 trans. About a month and a half ago i was driving home and lost all but first and reverse gears. I was able to limp it home. The fluid was full and wasnt burned at all. So I had a jy trans put in by a friend of mine that owns a repiar shop. I was really excited to get it back and be able to drive it again. But there was another issue. While cruising on the hwy about 65-70mph, the rpms would stay around 2200 rpms then if you would slightly release the gas pedal the rpms would jump up to bout 2800. Then it would jump out of overdrive complety and in a few minutes drop right back in to od and start the cycle over again. Before i condomed the trans i wanted to make sure everything else was good. I changed the tps sensor and then changed the trans control module, still had the same concern. So I took it back to my friend and he put in another trans. I thought all was well untill about 20min into the drive it started doing the same thing all over. I even changed the fluid out completly this time. And now on my way home tonight, when the trans is in drive and its warm it is very sluggish to accelerate, almost like it is slipping. If you put it into 1-2 it takes off fine. I am at my witts end here and dont know what the heck is going on. Is it possible that i got 2 bad transmissions? All I know is that before the original trans died i had no problems what so ever. Any suggestions?

How do you even know the original transmission died?

What year and make transmissions did he put in?

Could be bad replacements, and could be a sensor, PCM, NNS or wiring problem or combination.

Did you try driving it with the TCU unplugged, just shifting manually?

Did you try driving it with the TCU unplugged, just shifting manually?

x2 That way, if there is still an Issue you would know it was the Tranny. If everything goes fine, then it could be any of many things in the above Posts. IMHO

There is an EXTENSIVE thread about checking the inputs to the transmission solenoids. If it drives good with the TCU unplugged as joe suggests, I'd start reading that thread. You changed everything, so it could be a wiring problem.

Back