• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

scout dana 44s 4 my xj

oldskewl

NAXJA Forum User
I have a chance to buy a set of dana 44s from a scout for my 92 xj for $150 off my cousin. I havent seen them yet but he was going to use them until he picked up a gm 14 bolt and dana 60 to use instead. I was wondering if the scout rears were a lot wider than the xj. He said he thinks they should be about the same width but hasnt gotten back to me yet w/ measurements.

I think they are about 4" wider, but thats a guess.
The front 44 probably isnt even worth messing with, low pinion, passenger drop, possibly closed knuckle,...
Also figure into your equation what other axles youll have to use to match the bolt pattern.

I have heard that they are narrower as well.
The Scout 44's are a bit narrower. I have one in my garage for a buddy's MJ and he will have to use spacers to equal out.
I am looking for good candidates to swap a D44 into a MJ also,what was the difference in width,I hav'nt measured my WMS to WMS yet.

Also some food for thought, its becoming increasingly harder to find parts for Scout D44s, as they didn't share many of the same parts as most other D44s.

thanks for all the info I guess im gonna pass on the rears as they seem to be more of hastle than I though Ill just go w/ my original plan of using the ford 8.8 I have out of an explorer and just beef up the HP 30 in the front as I am only planing to go as big as 34s in the long term thanks again for all the info

The width is close but narrower. They are a good price and the IH design is great on the fronts. If you are getting a matched set just get a set of wheels with less backspace. Used 5x5.5x15" wheels are a dime a dozen on Craigslist. Make sure it is a dana 44 front as the 30's are more common. I agree with Begster to some degree except that the outers are interchangeable on D44's if you can't find parts (Have a 69 IH B1100 4x4 and have never had a problem with parts).

ok so if u guys were in my position would u buy the 44s or just use the 8.8 and beef up the front 30? Also would the front 44 be a low pinion and if so would it be be better than the high pinion 30 in my xj even after I put better axles and an electric locker in it? I would have to put gears in whatever axles I decide to go w/ so Im not really factoring that in to my decision. Thanks again for all the info.

I have never had an issue getting parts for either the front or rear of a Scout II Dana 44's. Most of the rear stuff is super common.

The axles measure 58" WMS. The 44 front is a low pinion and is a pass side drop.

The biggest issue would be using the pass side drop in an XJ. You would have to figure the t-case and exhaust. Guys have done it.

The 44 front is a low pinion and is a pass side drop.
The biggest issue would be using the pass side drop in an XJ. You would have to figure the t-case and exhaust. Guys have done it.

This is your primary concern, which you haven't acknowledged. Are you planning on swapping out the t-case? Because you will need to if you use the Scout front D44. Either that or cut/scarf, swap sides, and re-set the tubes, which would be a massive PITA.

I'd say go with the 8.8" and D30 combo. You can build them up to be plenty strong enough for 34" tires.

Pass side drop is just an excuse to go to a D300 tcase!

yeah I forgot to add that in my last post about the pass side drop. Probably gonna pass on them since I already got an 8.8 for the rear. But if I was to get them how hard are the D300 t-cases to find and would it mate to my existing AW4 trans.

Hey, you can even do a dual case with an NP231!

Back