• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing front driveshaft for better fuel economy

92tahoexj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I have a 92' 4.0 Limited, Auto ,Explorer tranny cooler, NP242, D30 w/o vacum disconnect. I'm getting ready to haul a trailer from Tahoe to Louiseville, Ky. If I remove my from driveshaft, will i get better gas mileage? I'm running 30x9.5 Dunlop Mud Rovers and 3.55's.

not worth it IMHO...my buddies 2wd XJ only gets like 3mpg better than my stocker of the same year and thats with NO t-case or front diff at all

wow! 3 MPG? that adds up when your driving 2,500 miles and pulling a trailer. My last trip across the country I averaged 12 MPG pulling a slightly lighter trailer(I got more Jeep stuff now), But I drove I-80. This time I'm going 50 through Nevada into Utah and then I-70 through Colorado and then it's flat.

With no drive shaft, you,ll still be spinning the axle and dif. You probably won't notice any difference.

The 2wd Cherokees don't have the running gear or the weight.

Do you not understand the fact that with no t-case or front diff the 2wd is ALOT different than your 4x4 with the front d/s removed? You're still going to be spinning MOST of what was spinning with it in. I would be surpised if you even noticed any difference at all.

I would say making sure bearings are in good order, and everything is properly lubed and greased would give you a better increase.

If you pull the front shaft, the front axle shafts and differential is still rotating. The only thing you have stopped rotating is the front output yoke of the transfercase.

Damn, tbburg beat me.

It will not help that much. The Front Axles and Differential would still Spin. Better to go with Hub LockOuts. However, the cost may defeat the purpose and I have no idea who would make a Pair for '92 Dana 30. I could not find any and I really tried to help you.

Best of Luck. If you find anything for a Dana 30 '91+ let us all know. Thank you.

thanks for the info, I'm just trying to save a few $$ on gas for the trip. everything is greased. all new u-joints, brakes, etc. I get about 17-18 highway without the trailer and about 12 with the trailer.

It will not help that much. The Front Axles and Differential would still Spin. Better to go with Hub LockOuts. However, the cost may defeat the purpose and I have no idea who would make a Pair for '92 Dana 30. I could not find any and I really tried to help you.

Best of Luck. If you find anything for a Dana 30 '91+ let us all know. Thank you.
Why a D30 91+?

Why a D30 91+?

I believe, and I might be wrong, '91+ XJs are different than earlier Models.

mcantar18c, who started this Thread, has a '93 XJ and I have a '96.

I have found Lockouts for D30 up to about an '88 or so. I do not remember. Sorry.

I got my best mileage ever (21.5) on a 9 hour trip, with my front DS removed. Tho you are not making much less work for the engine, just the turning of 3 ujoints, and the bearing on the Tcase.

It's a different animal, but my CJ got the same mileage with the hubs locked and unlocked. I've been told by friends that the front DS and axle shafts would spin at highway speed even when the hubs were free. Apparently there was enough friction in one or both hubs to spin the gears at speed.

As far as the front axle. There are differences in the Hub unit bearing year to year(I thing 3 different styles) 2 of them are interchangeable, the other requires a different rotor or some such. That's why there are 2 warn hub kits.

There's also the front axle disconnect. The OP says he doesn't have one, not that it would matter. The DS axle would drive the dif even with the passenger side unlocked. I never really understood the utility of unlocking only one side of the axle. I guess Jeep finally came around to my point of view because they did away with it around 96.

Back