• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alloy Usa axle shafts

mrrbby

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone had issues with these? I had a pair installed in my xj's d44 by a friend who runs a shop. Within 40 miles worth of driving, the bearings on each side moved down one inch on the shaft. The bearing on the driver's side was wiped. Oh yeah, and both sides leaked...bad. Has anyone out there had the pressed bearing "walk out" on you? What could cause this?

The bearing were replaced/pressed in. So far, so good. Seem to have cured the seal leak on both sides, but time will tell if my jeep is still marking it's spot:D

Did you have the metal retaining ring pressed on after the bearings? Were they the correct bearings?

I doubt that this problem was caused by the shafts. The bearing races are pressed up against a lip in the axle housing, and then the retainer plate puts pressure on the bearing, giving it a preload. The bearing stayed stationary. That would have been a pretty big mistake by Alloy USA for making shafts with an incorrect diameter on one of the most important surfaces of their shafts. I'm not saying it can't happen, but its unlikely.

Last edited:
I hope they were the right bearings. We used the bearings in the kit w/the axles. Yes, we had the retaining ring. New mopar bearings/seals/retaining rings were used on the repair/reinstall.

Ideas on how both bearings moved out the same amount on both sides? I can guess why both sides leaked the way they did with the bearings moving.

I'm going to say there is no way that retaining ring, if it was the correct one, moved from driving it around.
When installing bearings onto my Superior shafts, I first tried a huge press that was mechanical only, not hydraulic. We were unable to get the ring on, and actually bent the handle on the press because it required so much force. I then took it to a machine shop with a 20 ton press, and the retaining ring actually bowed in first before it slipped over the shaft. There is too much interference there for that ring to be able to move.

When I cut off the old ones with a dremel, I didn't even get all the way through before the pressure caused the remaining material to crack.

I would say if you had the shafts pulled, to measure the bearing surface, then give Alloy a call and get a dimension. That would tell you if the shafts were to blame. This very well could be the case, but I would hope that Alloy has better quality control than to let a pair of shafts go out with a critical dimension being wrong.

Either that or the bearings with the kit were incorrect. What was the kit, and where did you purchase it?

A couple of months ago, and it was from Rusty's Offroad. Installed about two weeks ago.

At this point, I'm guessing we screwed up. I was just looking for alternatives. It's easy to mess up the bearing seals, as a search here proved. I just wanted to know if this was unusual w/the bearings.

Live and learn:D

Back