• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noob NP242 question

CraigC

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I just picked up my first XJ last night. It's a 2000 4L with the AW4 and NP242 t-case. I'm getting out of the performance car world and into the Jeep world, and I'm a little lost with all the new stuff that's involved. As I understand it if I'm at a dead stop and I put the transfer case into part time 4WD mode, then crank the steering wheel to full lock and try to accelerate gently I should get some binding of the driveline, as the t-case is trying to make the axles turn at the same speed, right? If I try doing that with my Jeep I don't get any binding at all. Is there something simple I'm missing here, or should I start checking things out? What should I start looking for? I know that the transfer case is at least doing something because I can use 4 low (but I didn't think to try checking for binding in 4 low)

The axles should be turning the same speed once the case is in either part time mode. So it should bind when making a turn in part time high or lo on solid surfaces. The case may not immediately engage, you may have to drive a bit to get it to be fully locked in, at least this is the case on mine, which is a bit older than yours. Once you determine that it is working, it's probably not a good idea to continue driving on dry pavement in part time.

The axles should be turning the same speed once the case is in either part time mode. So it should bind when making a turn in part time high or lo on solid surfaces. The case may not immediately engage, you may have to drive a bit to get it to be fully locked in, at least this is the case on mine, which is a bit older than yours. Once you determine that it is working, it's probably not a good idea to continue driving on dry pavement in part time.

Thanks. I have no intention of driving it that way, I just figured that was a simple way of making sure it was doing what it was supposed to do. Is there a better way? Like I said, I'm basically starting from scratch with all this offroad stuff.

You can use the 'Full-Time 4wd' on the street, just not the 'part-time' or 'Low". Only use those in dirt, snow, etc. If you forget, this is probably printed on the inside of your sunvisor. If the jeep came with an owners manual in the glovebox, you should read the whole thing. Jeep thoroughly explains how the 4wd system works & how to use it. Good luck.

if you were in full time mode, you will notice virtually no binding. in full time the front and rear axles are allowed to spin at different rates, think of the transfer case as an open differential in that mode. but youre right about part time, it will bind when turning, especially on hard surfaces. essentially the transfer case is like a locked differential in part time.

Back