• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Questions

truck7575

NAXJA Forum User
So I have an old beater 88 XJ with a dana 30 front axle. I have only had it a few months and have put some money into it. I noticed that I have gear oil coming out of the seals where the axles go in, right behind the brake rotors. I almost have the axle completely off because I am installing new HD track and tie bars. So, can I just replace the seals on the end and be done with it or do I have to rebuild the whole axle? Also would AI just be better off rebuilding the whole axle if I am taking the ends off anyway. I have never rebuilt one so I dont have the tools and have never done it. Second, I was considering welding my spider gears in the front so that when I engage my posi-lock I would have a solid front axle, basically a locker. What kind of problems am I going to run into if I weld these spider gears together? I was thinking that it wouldnt wear out my tires faster because the only way the passenger side tire will rotate is if my posi-lock is engaged, i.e. both tires would still be able to rotate at different speeds. I am very new at this, and I do have a budget and cannot really afford a selectable locker right now, atleast and not still be married :) I thought I was done with mods for now till i saw this fluid leaking from the ends of the axle and it all over my new BFG KM2's. Can any of you help me?

Sounds like the axle seals are bad, the ones inside, i forget what exactly what called. Just pull off the breaks, hubs, slide the shafts out, take off the diff cover and pop the carrier out. Then you can get to the seals, its easy.

Sounds like the axle seals are bad, the ones inside, i forget what exactly what called. Just pull off the breaks, hubs, slide the shafts out, take off the diff cover and pop the carrier out. Then you can get to the seals, its easy.

Ummm........... no, not that easy my friend!! Popping the old out is fairly easy BUT getting the new in unmolested will be more interesting without proper tools!!

if you are ok with puling the carrier you should be able to seat the inner seals with a very large socket (if you have one big enough) and an short extension, or a seal tool (but if you had that you would not be asking).. as long as you can put even presure around the edge of the seal you should be able to get it to pop right in.

Here is apoint I am sure somone will have an argument about but I will mention it anyway. Unless you have modified the axle or shafts at the point of the seal you will usually have better luck with dealer/oem seals. I rarley recomend buying dealer parts but for the cost differance on a seal it has been worth it in my experience.

Or... you could just leave the seals where they are and go with these -

http://www.delta4x4club.com/TECH/JEEP/TUBESEALS.php

I use these and they work well. You still have to pull the axles but thats no big deal.

Don't weld the spiders in front if it's a DD or you drive in the snow.

Those are to keep water and crud from getting in, he needs to keep the diff fluid in the diff, not flood the torpedo tubes. lol
There are plenty of great write-ups on replacing axle tube seals, do a little searching.

X2 on not welding the D30 spiders. -B

You can buy some all-thread and make a seal installation tool with large fender washers and some nuts.

Do any of you know why you have to remove the front drive shaft to change the seals. It seems weird that this has to be removed to remove the axles. no where in the whole write up do you do anything that would affect the driveshaft.

Do any of you know why you have to remove the front drive shaft to change the seals. It seems weird that this has to be removed to remove the axles. no where in the whole write up do you do anything that would affect the driveshaft.

That's to make sure if the engine starts by itself and the trans goes into gear, it won't spin the pinion and throw off the pinion gear clocking, of course!
Honestly, good question, I have no idea.
While you are under the front end, it's not a bad idea to inspect the front shaft and grease the u's, and that is easier off the rig then on, however.

Nick

Where can i get the axle tube seals that were above. I mud a lot and I think these would keep mud from getting in the axle tube. Does anyone have a like or know the manufacturer.

That's to make sure if the engine starts by itself and the trans goes into gear, it won't spin the pinion and throw off the pinion gear clocking, of course!
Honestly, good question, I have no idea.
While you are under the front end, it's not a bad idea to inspect the front shaft and grease the u's, and that is easier off the rig then on, however.

Nick

:laugh2:

OK, so i have the Dana 30 that has the vacuum disconnect on the passenger side. I have replaced the Vaccum unit with a Posi-lock. Will the Axle on that side still just slide out since it is two pieces? What holds the inner part of the axle in place? Is there still just one seal on the inside of that side of the housing by the spider gears or do I have to replace more than one on that side of the axle?

Back