• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help with seized/rusted bolts

saweddoffjeep

NAXJA Forum User
so i just got a new muffler but im having a hell of a time getting the bolts that hold the old muffler on, they are really rusted and held on tight, ive tried nearly everything to get them off, does anyone know of a simple way to get them off

I've been using brass on exhaust hardware undercar for the last 20 years or so. Yes, brass is not as strong as steel, but in this application, that's not a factor. However, the copper base tends to be more "self-lubricating" than the iron in the steel, brass doesn't rust (it corrodes, but not readily,) and it will not seize to steel. I generally use brass or bronze from the exhaust manifold on back.

5-90

saweddoffjeep said:
ok ill be sure to go pick some brass clamps up right now
and the torch to get the old ones off

You won't be able to find brass exhaust clamps (I haven't, anyhow,) but the U-bolts on the clamps tend to take a standard nut - either 1/4" or 5/16".

You should be able to source brass machine nuts at the hardware store, or you can try to find brass or bronze at a marina/boating supply house.

Even on stainless/CRES clamps, I tend to use brass nuts. Cheap insurance and peace of mind.

5-90

Back