• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.8 l question

87xjstafford

NAXJA Forum User
I'm working on putting in a new clutch, and I was talking with my dad about buying from him and turning it into a racer, but the motor is gutless.

So I'm wondering what is a CHEAP easy motor swap.

Keep in mind the jeep was free so CHEAP is most important!

Last edited:
2.8 is a gas chevy V6, unless you are talking about the liberty diesel.

2.8 is a gas chevy V6, unless you are talking about the liberty diesel.

I saw his User Name, 87xjstafford, after I had posted and figured it out so I went back and edited the Post.

no biggy, I'm saving up to put a 2.8 Diesel in my next jeep.

Last edited:
It's gas, I want some major go go with out spending major cash. I know it's hard to do things for cheap any more.

Not gonna happen with that engine. What is your gear ratio in the axles? if you are at 3.55 you might try putting 4.10s in. If you can get a 4.0 in and add 4.10s you'll have some go.

Putting a 4.0 in is out of the question. I was thinking more on the lines of a different V6 swap in. If i knew the rest of the running gear would hold up I would shoe horn a small block chev in there. Which would be cheapest because we have the motor.

It only took me 30 minutes Googling "Jeep 2.1"

I hope you will Read most of these Threads so that you will have a more Educated Choice in what to do with your XJ.

Good Luck

A V8 would tear up your Transmission and Adapters and so forth will cost you much $$$$.

Read the Threads I posted. I did all your Research for you.

Your 1984-1986 XJ with the 2.8L V6 has a different Engine Bay than that of the '87 XJ with the 4.0L Renix.

If this is going to be a racer and not be on the streets anymore, you could strip it. Remove all the smog equipment and remove any extra engine accessories like AC and the smog pump. Strip the interior and exterior to make it as light as possible. Open up the intake and exhaust, adjust the timing and carb. It still won't be super fast but this is all free.

Back