• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lug Nuts- Bulge or Standard?

hubs97xj

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched, and read, but what I've read doesn't mesh with what I'm seeing. I picked up a set of lug nuts, as I'm throwing some alloys on the Heep. My stock lugs are shedding their caps, and showing some wear on the seat from hamfisting.

I've got the stock steelies with (I guess) standard lug nuts on it for now, and after reading, decided the bulge type was what I needed- ostensibly for more contact on the alloy wheel. This is what I've got.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-754006B/

And here is a pic of one next to one of my lugs.

Image019.jpg

So looking at these on the steelies, it makes no difference- the wheel isn't thick enough to matter. However, on the alloys, the bulge nut has less contact area, by all appearances. I've read several times on here that the bulge type is recommended for alloys, as you have more of the conical seat against the wheel. But this doesn't appear to be the case- at least not with the alloys I've got (DCPJ OE take-offs).

What gives? Is there some confusion in terminology, is Summit listing these incorrectly, or was what I read on here flat-out wrong? Overlooking something else? Does it even matter?

I figured someone here has already dealt with this and can offer some insight.

Thanks

It depends on the rim. My rims (M/T side biter, an alloy rim) call for the standard "acorn" lug nut.

If your concerned just make sure you TQ them down the right amount in the right pattern for the wheel (criss crossing) and put a dab of blue locktight on them.

Edit:

a Quote from M/T web site,

Question: What type of lug nuts should be used with Mickey Thompson wheels? What (ft. lbs.) do I torque my Mickey Thompson wheels to?

Answer: Top quality lug nuts with a 60 deg. conical seat area should be used. We highly recommend bulge nuts which offer a larger seat area. (Gorilla and McGard are two popular name brands.) Once you have selected your lug nut of choice, we suggest that you torque them the same as your OEM wheels. Consult your owner's manual.

each rim manufacture may recommend something else, but my guess is you will be fine.

Back