• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

it wasnt my rear main.

f1tbiker6

NAXJA Forum User
A week or so ago i posted a thread about how i thought my rear main was leaking/ dripping oil onto my exhaust pipe, causing a cloud of smoke. But i only got noticeable smoke on decceleration, so some suggested it was a bad valve guide. however this was not the case either, becuase i had some one drive behind me on the highway and the smoke wasnt coming out of the exhaust. turns out im leaking transmission fluid.

questions are:

Why would i only get noticeable smoke on decceleration?

What seal(s) should i replace to fix the leaking trans fluid?

This is a crawl under there, clean things up, and look for the problem kind of thing.

Really, you could be leaking fluid at the radiator and it is flowing back along the lines and getting on the exhaust.

Don't waste time and money, diagnosing the problem is the correct way.

Also, don't rule out the simple stuff. Mine was overfilled by the PO when I bought it and the fluid would expand when really hot and spew out of the overflow vent and onto the exhaust (and everything else for that matter!). Drained and refilled to correct level and it's been perfect ever since.

Eric

yea, be sure the level is right. I picked up a 1998 sport with 83,000 miles on it for $800 becuase the PO thought the transmission was going out. Turns out he had it serviced at grease monkey. The tranny shop quoted him $2400 to rebuild it. After I bought it, I figured out the tranny was just over filled.

Drained it, filled it up and been driving it for the last year with no problems.

X2 on above, Clean underside and then look for leak. Cooler Lines are common source.
It is easy to overfill the AW4, 1/2 pint over, and when hot will puke fluid out of vent and dipstick, all over the exhaust. You will be sure your on fire.

Back