• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trouble getting flex out of RE 5.5" leafs

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
Just got back from fork lift flexing the jeep at work...
The rear just wont flex.My 35's arent even close to tucking and the leaves still had positive arch to them.The leaf/shackle bolts are torqued properly and shocks are the right size(I think,next time I'll disconnect them to rule them out)What else could be holding the rear back from articulating???
Rear sway bar is long gone so thats not it either.....My shackle angle is not the best but would that keep it from flexing?

I have no experience with RE leaves but is there any chance you just need to put some miles on this set up to let things soften up some? That is assuming your leaves are brand new.

Just got back from fork lift flexing the jeep at work...
The rear just wont flex.My 35's arent even close to tucking and the leaves still had positive arch to them.The leaf/shackle bolts are torqued properly and shocks are the right size(I think,next time I'll disconnect them to rule them out)What else could be holding the rear back from articulating???
Rear sway bar is long gone so thats not it either.....My shackle angle is not the best but would that keep it from flexing?

I had very poor flex out of my re4.5's with stock shackles, proper shackle angle fixed things up got flex and droop.

This lift is a few years old so I would say the leaves are broke in?

Shackle angle is worse than vertical...why the hell would RE sell a system that ends up with such crappy shackle angles is beyond me....

I really dont want to go higher so can this situation be fixed with a boomerang shackle I wonder....could always go with brian ho's shackle box but fear that it would put me too ass high.

Damn its always something.....just got through putting coil spacers in the front to fix the sag from my winch and bumper,would hate to end up with more lift in the rear and be ass high again....

I'll throw a pic on here of my angle tomorrow in the day time.

This lift is a few years old so I would say the leaves are broke in?

Shackle angle is worse than vertical...why the hell would RE sell a system that ends up with such crappy shackle angles is beyond me....

I really dont want to go higher so can this situation be fixed with a boomerang shackle I wonder....could always go with brian ho's shackle box but fear that it would put me too ass high.

Damn its always something.....just got through putting coil spacers in the front to fix the sag from my winch and bumper,would hate to end up with more lift in the rear and be ass high again....
I added some rough country adjustables shackles and hd shackle boxes, and after correcting and perfecting my angle it only netted 1/2" or so higher.

**click to enlarge**

As you can see its really bad.....
Will a boomerang shackle cure the bad shackle angle syndrome and get my flex back?How will my pinion angle be affected?

Last edited:
**click to enlarge**

Will a boomerang shackle cure the bad shackle angle syndrome and get my flex back?How will my pinion angle be affected?
boomerangs dont change shackle angle

I had a similar problem with shackle angle i had a good look at the shackle mount and found that a bolt from the bumper was sticking through and stopping the shackle from moving towards the rear it was gouging into the shackle, i have since removed the bolt (from both sides still leaving 3 each side) and it flex's pretty well now.

I just installed some RC 4.5" leafs with revolver shackles (netted about 6" of lift) and I have to say it is awesome. I was originally running RE 3.5" add-a-leaf with RC 2" shackle and it flexed pretty decent. The difference now is extraordinary, though. I have a 3-link long-arm setup in the front and the front and rear now flex about the same (limited with bump stops, etc. because the axles will continue to flex a lot more without any restraint).
I know a lot of people trash the revolvers, but I'm extremely happy with them so far. Would I pay the $250 for them brand new, prob. not. I got a good deal on some used ones, which is why I installed them in the first place to try them out.

oh, and definitely cut that bolt behind the bumper.

combine;

remove a leaf (smallest one or one up)
boomerang for 1" of lift

that should compensate for the loss of lift from the leaf pack, allow for the main spring to level out a bit (more distance eye-eye) and that may correct the shackle angle a bit.

**click to enlarge**

No it won't you need to physically change the angle..you have 2 choices change it or live with what you have now..you could fab a set up or have someone do it, if cash is tight..

If you have the 5.5 leaf packs, you need the boomarang shackles RE2705 for them to work right, RE does not have a kit that comes with the 5.5 leafpack. How do you figure it is an RE System problem, the 5.5 leafs are an upgrade when used with the 7.5 coils and proper shackle, if you upgraded the leafs and coils only, then you needed to do the shackle also

JUMP IT!!! haha

do you net any height by just installed boomerang shackles? i just need to get rid of my sag in the rear of my stock xj, and if i can get more flex and a little height from boomerangs... then thats the way im headed

oh and a shackle angle like urs shouldnt effect flex... BUT it should effect the droop i would think

do you net any height by just installed boomerang shackles? i just need to get rid of my sag in the rear of my stock xj, and if i can get more flex and a little height from boomerangs... then thats the way im headed

oh and a shackle angle like urs shouldnt effect flex... BUT it should effect the droop i would think

New packs? That'll get rid of the sag for ya! :D Fullsizexj sells RE parts so i think he's got the right Idea. Boomerang shackles should also increase you lift a bit. unless they make them in stock length.

all you need to do is move your top bolt forward a few inches, usually the shackle box is the fix because you can then move the shackle mount forward, doing this will actually level out your lift because you lose height when the mount is moved forward to 45*. you'd only be ass high if you remounted the shackle vertical under the box...

i have RE 4.5" leafs, TNT boomerangs, built a shackle box and my angle is right around 45*
i have maybe 5 trips on this set up and i can only flex a 35" tire... im not pleased with the droop at all the smoosh is good though. i also bought into the idea that ubolt eliminators are better than ubolts. luckily i made 3 sets all different heights, i just think it looks cleaner theres no difference tho other than its an easy way to compensate for blocks.
i just 3 linked my front end and i have either the 5.5 or 7.5 RE coils and im hoping that now my rig will flex evenly instead of the rear being softer... i want my suspension to move alot rather than my body

hope this will give you an idea of what to expect. btw my total lift is probly 7 or 8 inches

Back