• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Too much backlash?

chpmnsws6

NAXJA Forum User
How much should you be able to turn your driveshaft before it binds up? I'm looking at a 1/4 turn "clunk" to "clunk" right now

Stock 29 spline 8.25 rear end with a lunchbox locker.

Is this more then the normal? Whats the correction for it?

The front end has about the same amount of play and the yoke can be moved around an easy 1/8th of an inch (Suspect the pinion bearings are shot)

1/4 turn is a lot. The correction for excess gear lash in the differential is to move the ring gear (the big one) closer to the pinion gear (the one that the driveshaft turns). Often, though, the problem is loose input shaft bearings. This allows the pinion gear to move away from the ring gear. If you try to shake the input shaft side to side and up/down and can detect any movement, the pinion shaft bearings are loose. This requires an adjustment procedure that sets both the lash and the pinion depth (the front/back position of the pinion in relation to the pinion. The best explanations of these adjustments I have seen were in Kenworth and Caterpillar repair manuals. There are probably some good instructions online by now...

How much extra movement will the lunchbox locker allow?

I liked dealing with the semi pumpkins. They were heavy, but easy to set.

.... 1/4 turn "clunk" to "clunk" right now

Stock 29 spline 8.25 rear end with a lunchbox locker.

Is this more then the normal? ..

As your Locker installation instructions should have noted, the locker will increase the amount of free-play in your differential. You will see and feel the extra play in normal usage.

Wobble in the pinion yoke bearings is not normal.

Back