• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pulling engine questions

bmyohn

NAXJA Forum User
1) How do i get to the top three bellhousing bolts?

2) How do i remove the mechanical fan on the front of the motor? I know i have to remove the 4 nuts on the pulley, but i cant keep it from spinning

3) Once i get the motor mounts disconnected, and the bellhousing bolts removed, can i just pull the motor straight up? or do i need to remove something from the transmission to get the engine disconnected and pulled out?

thanks
-Brendan

Auto or stick?

Pulley is slipping from not enough tension on the belt. Quick and dirty, put your hand on the belt and press down, that will apply tension and let you brake the bolts loose or slip a wood wedge against a pulley and the belt and that will tighten things up.

I believe the top two bolts are eTorx, unless they have been changed before. Use a couple of extensions and a universal joint to reach those.

You will have to move the engine forward before going up. I find it easier to pull the radiator for more room.

its an auto (AW4). as for the pulley, i took the belt off (made it easy to get the power steering pump out of the way). i was told use a screwdriver to keep the pulley from spinning so i may try that tomorrow as well

also, how do i remove the timing chain?

With the belt off a strap wrench would be the ticket.

how do you remove the crankshaft pulley? i got the puller for it. but i can get the nut off the pulley without the motor rotating. whats the best way to get this off?

today i did get the water pump off and the new high flow one reinstalled on the stroker. i got the fan off, the ground wires disconnected. i also got the alternator off and the a/c unit off as well

Back