• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sway bar pop/cracking noise?

xray1971

NAXJA Forum User
1998 XJ, 2" budget lift.
I recently put new front sway bar bushings (poly-u) and end links on. When I re-installed the sway bar, I had to push down on the passenger side of the sway bar to get it onto the end link enough to get the nut on to tighten it down. I now notice a pop or cracking noise when backing up or slowing to a stop in the driveway. Is it normal to have to force the swaybar end down to get it onto the endlink enough to get the nut to catch thread? Sway bar dropped onto the driver side endlink no problem.

Right, it's going to go onto the first side easily because the whole bar is loose (stating the obvious, I know), but then I always expect some level of tension to get the second side connected unless your end links are the exact perfect length.

Are you using stock length end links with your 2" BB? I'm not even sure if that's possible as I've never been at 2". When I went from stock height to 4.5", I had to get longer end links. Are your end link bushings in a bind when sitting still on level ground?

Eric

Hey, ya using stock length end links. They are in a bind when sitting on level ground. Had to force the pass. side of the sway bar down onto the end link. I read a thread talking about using a silicone lube on the poly sway bar bushings. Do you think that will help alleviate the noise in my case?
The sway bar seems to be centered fine I think.

Back