• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GM cylinders, please help, please!

SINCITY192

NAXJA Forum User
does any one know the different GM ignition cylinders for 85-90 jeeps
I really need some help auto zone gave me a ignition cylinder that would not fully lock in the steering column.
I took off the ignition and check the integrity of the shaft that goes into the ignition switch and it operates great, except for the fact that even with the switch off and me moving the shaft the lock cylinder will still not go all the way into the lock position.
so it cant be the ignition switch cause even with the switch eliminated i still have the same problem.
ive come to the conclusion that it has to be a different cylinder but my problem is finding the right one please help me
its a 89 cherekee column
someone on here said that it is 5 GM jeep cylinders for the yrs 85-90

I've seen two kinds of lock in Cherokees. One is held in by a screw that engages a notch in the bottom of the lock housing. The other is held in by a spring-loaded tab that you have to push in with a screwdriver in order to slide the lock out. Which kind do you have? How did you get the lock out?

i dont know if this will help but
the wheel wont lock either it just spins freely well at least it did when i had the wheel on but now i have it off waiting for some expert advice

Looks like Ecomike gave you some good advice and a solution in response to your first thread on this subject? Have you taken your original cylinder, as suggested, to a parts house for a match?

yea i took the cylinder back to autozone and ask them for any other GM cylinders they may have from 85-90
and they had none where do i go what do i do

good news i finally got it im so surprised none of u guys told me to check it but hey

in case anyone runs into this problem my problem was that the key wasnt coming out of the ignition the column was out of the jeep so i never paid attention to the little blue pole right by the shaft that goes into the ignition switch. its the part the the shift cable attaches to. i had to push this piece up and then try to put the cylinder in the lock position and it went and the key came out
basicly even though the column was out it still had to be in park for the key to come out
of course i didnt know this applied to me because the column was out i had no idea how to put the column in park. lol
hope this makes sense and thanks for the help guys

Back