• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BA10 - lube capacity

DaveW

NAXJA Forum User
Most all info on a 5 speed for a jeep is for the AX series.

What is the lube capacity of the BA10?

Also, what lube are people using?
I've searched and could only find thread with more questions.
The manual states 75w-90 GL-5. But the AX15 was used that year (89) too.

Any BA10 owners who change there own tranny lube?

The 75w is fine, just fill until the fluid starts running out of the fill hole. Don't remember the number of pints I put in. Not important, accept to know how much to buy in advance. What is important, is to check the lube level occasionally (remove fill plug and insert finger tip--you should be able to touch the fluid--or just add until fluid begins to flow back out); low fluid can result in overheating the gears, causing loss of hardening, followed by rapid destruction of the trans. I know my Peugeot (BA5/10) leaked where the half-cases joined. So keep an eye for indications of leaks. Wouldn't take long to leak below a safe level.

i am using a full synthetic gl4 75-85w, that is spec'd for dodge nv4500 trannys. i was told, and read in numerous google searches, not to use a gl5 rated oil because they attack light metals. so far so good. been about 5k miles now and the ba10 shifts perfectly @ 183,000+. what came out when i drained it looked like liquid satan, i suppose anything would be an improvement over that. just fill it up 'til starts running back out the hole.

If you want to know how much you should buy, check the Tech Archive section of my website - I've got a page up for fluid capacities from AMC and MOPAR FSMs.

75W-90 GL-5 is just fine, per AMC FSM... The AX-15 does not drink GL-5, the added sulphur ends up attacking the bronze synchro rings after a while...

5-90

5-90 said:
75W-90 GL-5 is just fine, per AMC FSM... The AX-15 does not drink GL-5, the added sulphur ends up attacking the bronze synchro rings after a while...

5-90

so gl5 is okay in the peugeot trans? that's good to know. for the most part, no one at work knows or cares anything about the amc and renix stuff anymore. most of the books and such are long gone.

Ten High said:
so gl5 is okay in the peugeot trans? that's good to know. for the most part, no one at work knows or cares anything about the amc and renix stuff anymore. most of the books and such are long gone.

Yeah, I'm trying to fill in the gaps. That's why I collect FSMs and such wherever possible.

Yes, GL-5 is OK, since the Peugeot uses aluminum synchronisers. Fine with sulphur, but they just suck to begin with... Bronze is better, but it's attacked by the sulphur in GL-5, so use GL-3 (preferred) or GL-4 (I'll let you know. I can't seem to find GL-3 anywhere locally to put into my AX-15 that I just swapped in for my fourth Peugeot...)

5-90

Ten High said:
aluminum synchro's? that's nice.... no wonder they don't hold up. excellent info, thanks.

Yep, aluminum synchros. I've torn three apart, and I've got another one nearing disassembly (at least the aluminum case and parts are worth something as scrap...)

5-90

xjbubba said:
accept to know how much to buy in advance.
You hit the nail on the head there!! That is why I am asking.

5-90 said:
If you want to know how much you should buy, check the Tech Archive section of my website - I've got a page up for fluid capacities from AMC and MOPAR FSMs.

5-90
5-90 said:
Yep, aluminum synchros. I've torn three apart, and I've got another one nearing disassembly (at least the aluminum case and parts are worth something as scrap...)

5-90

Thanks for the clearification on the alum. syncros in the BA-10. The good old GL-5 will work.

Good stuff on the site. But the poor little frenchy seems a bit left out.

I could not find any BA-10 info in the "Capacities and Recommendations for Fluids & Lubricants" page and the "Peugeot BA-10/5" link on the "Drivetrain Specifications Section" page is not valid. :doh:

Still looking for a lube capacity for the BA-10... Hoping for oly 1 trip to the part store.

5-90 said:

5-90
And some people say they are not worth anything:D

5-90 said:
OK - since I don't have it on the site (yet...)

XJ/MJ 4WD - 4.9 pints
XJ/MJ 2WD - 5.2 pints
YJ (All) - 4.7 pints

So, three quarts should give you a little left over, either way.

5-90

Thanks, now off the the store to get some lube, drain the chocolate milk :( out of the tranny and add some nice clean lube.

DaveW said:
Thanks, now off the the store to get some lube, drain the chocolate milk :( out of the tranny and add some nice clean lube.

Forgot to mention - the drain plugs on the Peugeot are 8m/m square drive. You can "phoney up" a tool in about five minutes if you start with a cheap 8m/m or 5/16" hex key - that's what I did. Grind down opposite corners until it fits in the square recess - it won't take much.

5-90

5-90 said:
Forgot to mention - the drain plugs on the Peugeot are 8m/m square drive. You can "phoney up" a tool in about five minutes if you start with a cheap 8m/m or 5/16" hex key - that's what I did. Grind down opposite corners until it fits in the square recess - it won't take much.

5-90

Thanks, I've already fabbed a tool. Might try you idea. It would be better then my pipe end plug (the type with the square head like an AMC 20 diff plug) torqued into a nut.

The choco milk is out and the new lube is in. Bought the cheapest I could find. It never all drains out so I''ll let the bad mix a some wiht the good and change it again after a few miles.

DaveW said:
Thanks for the clearification on the alum. syncros in the BA-10. The good old GL-5 will work.

Good stuff on the site. But the poor little frenchy seems a bit left out.

I could not find any BA-10 info in the "Capacities and Recommendations for Fluids & Lubricants" page and the "Peugeot BA-10/5" link on the "Drivetrain Specifications Section" page is not valid. :doh:

Still looking for a lube capacity for the BA-10... Hoping for oly 1 trip to the part store.

Yeah, I know. I add information as I get it, but since I use only "factory" sources (AMC/MOPAR,) it might take a while. I think I also put a disclaimer up on the "Tech Index" saying that if there's a dead link, I already know about it, and the page is in the works... And, since the whole site is a perpetual work in progress, such things are subject to change anyhow...

Anyhow, I'd just found my 1989 FSM (which I need to have spiral bound. At least all the pages are there...) and collected information from it into my Master Excel sheet - so expect that to pop up sometime in the near future. I'll probably re-code the page while I'm on the train in a week or so, if I don't get to it before then!

5-90

Back