• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP - Check engine light blinking

danny Benavidez

NAXJA Forum User
This just started today My check engine light is on when I'm at idle maybe I'm say light rough idle. But after I'm over 15mph it starts to blink. Right after the AW4 up-shifts. I'v been told at jiffy lube I need the transmission fluid changed. But I'v never notist a shift problems. Not even now with the check engine light on and blinking. I did a NAXJA Search and only a misfire shows up.

Any help would be really appreciated
2001 Jeep XJ 4.0 AW4 4x4 sprot 140K miles

www.BlueXJ.com

I only use good gas from Valero or Exxon sometime I get mid grade.
I Live in Texas and for the last some day outside temp has been about 100 degrees
So i'm thinking maybe heat soak on number #3

Last edited:
OK this morning 11AM I started my jeep and left the A/C on to do it's thing for about 5 minutes. After worlds I got in ( did not see a CEL on ) I drive on to the road and the light come on. SO I came home and posted the above text.

And just now I reset the light and re-started my jeep idled it for 2 minutes, than drove around my neighborhood for 10 minutes at 40mph and the light has not come back On ?

I live in the sticks and the nearist car part store is 25 miles away

Any Help ?

Yes I know, But thay are 25 miles away I'll fearing the drive out to them !
if the problem continuous. Dis this sound more like a 0331 head , transmission , misfire or heat soak ?

you really need to find out what the code is just because it was a missfrie b4 it might be something different now but if it is a miss check the plug for fouling check the wire for cracks or breaks also the distributor cap make sure the copper points on the cap arent worn down and if that dont help get yourself a noid light and check the injector for pulsing

I forget now but a blinking CEL is there to catch your immediate attention, one that comes on and stays on just lets you know there is a problem. When my 98 blinked I lost the engine, well, one cylinder anyway from a stuck on injector that wiped the cylinder down. Still drove it 100miles home on 5 cylinders.

This just started today My check engine light is on when I'm at idle maybe I'm say light rough idle. But after I'm over 15mph it starts to blink. Right after the AW4 up-shifts. I'v been told at jiffy lube I need the transmission fluid changed. But I'v never notist a shift problems. Not even now with the check engine light on and blinking. I did a NAXJA Search and only a misfire shows up.

Any help would be really appreciated
2001 Jeep XJ 4.0 AW4 4x4 sprot 140K miles

www.BlueXJ.com

First, a good investment: http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=obd2&Submit=Go

Second, how did a NAXJA search tell you something w/o knowing the code? Is the engine running poorly, or is the light just on?

one cylinder anyway from a stuck on injector that wiped the cylinder down.

What dis that mean ? "wiped the cylinder down"

I'm looking in to it,.. But I would like something to work with my laptop or a unit with full control and view of all things the OBD2 can say not just a simple unit. I do not like to buy cheap things. This way I only have to buy one OBD-reader not one today and a second one later on.

Second, how did a NAXJA search tell you something w/o knowing the code? Is the engine running poorly, or is the light just on?

Engine seams to run OK just the CEL blinks. So I was thinking a blinking CEL means something major is wrong with the engine or transmission. And a CEL just on means something simple needs to be fixing. My 99 Rodeo started to blink the transmission light one day and the next day I lost 2,3 & 4th gears.

I searched using "Check engine light blinking"

Last edited:
The obd2 standard for all vehicles requires the check engine light to flash when the catalytic converter is about to be damaged. This requires a gross misfire and the pcm sees lots of unburned fuel going into the cat.

Generally by the standard the MIL is illuminated but not flashing when any other emissions compliance fault is observed, which is why you can have codes that don't turn on the light.

The obd2 standard for all vehicles requires the check engine light to flash when the catalytic converter is about to be damaged. This requires a gross misfire and the pcm sees lots of unburned fuel going into the cat.

Generally by the standard the MIL is illuminated but not flashing when any other emissions compliance fault is observed, which is why you can have codes that don't turn on the light.

Yup, explains the MIL when my 98 #3 cylinder injector stuck open and wiped all the oil from the cylinder wall, must have seen almost pure fuel going in there.

Will late yesterday I drove into town and the CEL stayed off the hole 50 mile trip. So today I'll stop by autozone and see if thay can get the codes out of the BCM Body control module. I'll post it when I get back home.

The first thing you should do is pull your spark plugs. When were they last changed? Check the gap. Should be 0.035". If it is over 0.045", that could be your problem. Gap gets bigger with time. If an injector is stuck open, one plug should be wet with gasoline. All plugs should look light tan and look the same. 2001 does not have rotor or wires, so you don't need to worry about that. You could also check the timing of your cam position sensor with a toothpick (after you check the spark plugs).

Back