• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How many bolts hold tranny to motor?

Two at the top - the E12s you've already gotten. They're threaded 3/8"-16, so get hex heads or socket heads with the same length under the head, and throw those two in the scrap bin.

Two about middle high - one to each side. They're threaded 7/16"-14, and have a standard hex head.

Remove the starter screws - chances are one will be 3/8"-16 and take a 9/16" socket, and the other is M10-1.5 and take a 15m/m socket.

If you look from the front of the engine, about midway between the side bellhousing screw and the top bellhousing screw, there may be a hex head there on a plate - remove those screws as well. They hold the spacer plate to the bellhousing, and you won't be able to remove the transmission until you unscrew the spacer plate from it (since it is caught behind the flywheel/flexplate until you do.) It's not necessary to put those screws back - I never have - but I haven't tried removing the spacer plate yet (I'm not sure what it's for.)

The lower "inspection plate" is held on with a nut and bolt on each side, and may have a screw in the bottom centre. Remove this - for the same reason as unscrewing the spacer plate from the bellhousing.

Two at the top - the E12s you've already gotten. They're threaded 3/8"-16, so get hex heads or socket heads with the same length under the head, and throw those two in the scrap bin.

Two about middle high - one to each side. They're threaded 7/16"-14, and have a standard hex head.

Remove the starter screws - chances are one will be 3/8"-16 and take a 9/16" socket, and the other is M10-1.5 and take a 15m/m socket.

If you look from the front of the engine, about midway between the side bellhousing screw and the top bellhousing screw, there may be a hex head there on a plate - remove those screws as well. They hold the spacer plate to the bellhousing, and you won't be able to remove the transmission until you unscrew the spacer plate from it (since it is caught behind the flywheel/flexplate until you do.) It's not necessary to put those screws back - I never have - but I haven't tried removing the spacer plate yet (I'm not sure what it's for.)

The lower "inspection plate" is held on with a nut and bolt on each side, and may have a screw in the bottom centre. Remove this - for the same reason as unscrewing the spacer plate from the bellhousing.

Ok thanks just a few questions. Got the E12s and middle high ones and same with the ones in between the two of them. The question I have is about the 2 bottom right and left side ones that are a bolt and a nut what size are those? my 19PT socket fits but not tight enough it slips so what is it? 2nd off is their bolts on the very bottom and top center as well or no?
One last thing do you have to remove the starter or does it just stay on the motor or tranny?
thanks,
Jake

Ok thanks just a few questions. Got the E12s and middle high ones and same with the ones in between the two of them. The question I have is about the 2 bottom right and left side ones that are a bolt and a nut what size are those? my 19PT socket fits but not tight enough it slips so what is it? 2nd off is their bolts on the very bottom and top center as well or no?
One last thing do you have to remove the starter or does it just stay on the motor or tranny?
thanks,
Jake

Remove the starter - the screws go through the engine block to the starter motor, and the bellhousing flange to the starter motor.

I don't recall what size the lower bolts/nuts are - 18m/m? 11/16? If a 19m/m is too big, a 3/4" will be as well. I don't put them back on very tight, and I think they're a "deformed thread locknut." This enables me to use crescent wrenches in a pinch without any trouble.

There are no screws at 12:00 and 6:00 that attach the engine to the transmission. Looking forward (from the rear,) they're at about 1:00, 11:00, 3:00, and 9:00 (for the engine-to-bellhousing screws.) The screws that hold the spacer plate to the bellhousing are at about 2:00 and 10:00.

The inspection plate nuts and bolts are at about 4:30 and 7:30, and they only retain the inspection plate.

Remove the starter - the screws go through the engine block to the starter motor, and the bellhousing flange to the starter motor.

I don't recall what size the lower bolts/nuts are - 18m/m? 11/16? If a 19m/m is too big, a 3/4" will be as well. I don't put them back on very tight, and I think they're a "deformed thread locknut." This enables me to use crescent wrenches in a pinch without any trouble.

There are no screws at 12:00 and 6:00 that attach the engine to the transmission. Looking forward (from the rear,) they're at about 1:00, 11:00, 3:00, and 9:00 (for the engine-to-bellhousing screws.) The screws that hold the spacer plate to the bellhousing are at about 2:00 and 10:00.

The inspection plate nuts and bolts are at about 4:30 and 7:30, and they only retain the inspection plate.

What do I do with the starter motor when its unbolted? should I just tie it up somewhere out of the way or undo the wiring? it doesn't look like it has a quick wire disconnect or anything like the wiring harness does.

What do I do with the starter motor when its unbolted? should I just tie it up somewhere out of the way or undo the wiring? it doesn't look like it has a quick wire disconnect or anything like the wiring harness does.

I just remove the wires and get it out the way..

Nick

Undo the wiring and set it aside is easiest. Or, use a bit of mechanic's wire and tie it out of the way.

Back