• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knuckle Question

mavrick

NAXJA Forum User
I just discovered that the threads on the knuckle that bolt up the caliper have stripped enough to no longer hold the bolts. Two questions... is my only option to replace the whole knuckle? Is this an easy enough job that a lower skilled person like myself could do?

The easiest option would be to helicoil the stripped out threads; if you're not familiar with helicoils, do a google search. You will need to determine what size and pitch threads your caliper bolts use, and then buy the appropriate kit. The kits I buy from my local auto parts store come with the correct size tap and drill bit, along with about 10 helicoils and the installation tool. The sell for between $15-$65 depending on the size.

Just pull one of the bolts and take it to your local hardware/auto parts store. If they don't have a thread gauge, just try different size/pitch nuts until you find one that fits. Write down the the diameter and pitch and order that helicoil size. (For example, if a M10x1.25 nut fits on the bolt, order an M10x1.25 helicoil kit) Make sure that the threads on the bolts aren't damaged; if they are get replacements from your local auto parts store.

I had another thought; the caliper is designed to slide back and forth on those bolts, even when they're tight. It is what allows the brake pads to apply even pressure on both sides of the rotor. Is it possible that you're mistaking this movement for a broken/loose/stripped out bolt?

Just pull one of the bolts and take it to your local hardware/auto parts store. If they don't have a thread gauge, just try different size/pitch nuts until you find one that fits. Write down the the diameter and pitch and order that helicoil size. (For example, if a M10x1.25 nut fits on the bolt, order an M10x1.25 helicoil kit) Make sure that the threads on the bolts aren't damaged; if they are get replacements from your local auto parts store.

I had another thought; the caliper is designed to slide back and forth on those bolts, even when they're tight. It is what allows the brake pads to apply even pressure on both sides of the rotor. Is it possible that you're mistaking this movement for a broken/loose/stripped out bolt?

Thanks for clarifying but im pretty sure it is stripped as it wont get tight like the other bolts on the other side.

I got a Perma Coil kit (same thing as a Heli Coil) at Pep Boys. Any auto part store will have them.

I've had to put one Perma Coil in each knuckle.

so they have these at hardware stores as well?

Can't promise you that ALL hardware stores will have them. Home Depot and Lowe's don't. But my local Ace does, Amazon sells them, every auto parts store I've been to carries some variety, etc. Pretty easy to find them...

You can use your original bolts if they are in good condition. If you need new bolts, go to any hardware store like Ace or OSH.

Back