• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Paint and hurculiner Question.

NW-ZJ-SCOTT

TEXAS-JT-SCOTT
NAXJA Member
i have a 4dr XJ. i am wanting to paint it in the next two weeks.

How many cans did you use? i was thinking of buying 10 cans.. is that enough? is it overkill? im on a little bit of a budget.. so i cant afford to over estimate..

but i plan to do the whole jeep, and the door jambs...

also, i am wanting to Hurculine my rockers and the lower part of the door (where the lower body line is) will one can cover this? this hurculiner stuff is found at wal mart?

Why not go and buy 5, use them, and if you need more, get the rest? If you're talking spray bomb then this should be no problem.

Yes one quart of Herculiner will do 2 coats on your rockers.

Why not go and buy 5, use them, and if you need more, get the rest? If you're talking spray bomb then this should be no problem.

Yes one quart of Herculiner will do 2 coats on your rockers.
just wanted to verify thanks!

I seem to remember getting it in a gallon can. I think I used about half of it for my floor, with 2 coats. Yes, I got it at Walmart. There's another brand made by Duplicolor that I got at a parts store, Autozone I think, it's about the same price and is available in gallons. The thing I liked about the Duplicolor brand is that it does not have the gritty stuff that Herc has in it, so its texture is determined by the method of application, rather than being very rough no matter what. I used it on my halfdoors. I can't tell you about it's relative coverage, as I used a lot of coats(5ish). I used more than a half gallon on 2 doors that end above the inside handle.

I seem to remember getting it in a gallon can. I think I used about half of it for my floor, with 2 coats. Yes, I got it at Walmart. There's another brand made by Duplicolor that I got at a parts store, Autozone I think, it's about the same price and is available in gallons. The thing I liked about the Duplicolor brand is that it does not have the gritty stuff that Herc has in it, so its texture is determined by the method of application, rather than being very rough no matter what. I used it on my halfdoors. I can't tell you about it's relative coverage, as I used a lot of coats(5ish). I used more than a half gallon on 2 doors that end above the inside handle.
see thats something im interested in, Herculiner seems to be a bit "Gritty" and im thinkin i would like a little bit smoother of a surfice.. i will look into this. thank you!

I used a normal textured paint roller (the kind with the little loops) with the Duplicolor stuff, and the finish is not flat, but is not abrasive like the Herc finish. I does not tear your skin off when rubbed, and is also much easier to clean (you need a scrub brush to clean the dirt out of Herculiner). The Duplicolor's can is also moreso resealable than the Herc can, my half gallon of Herculiner was solid after several months, and I've had the other stuff for a couple years and it's still good. Whichever you end up using, plan on throwing out whatever you are wearing, and having spots on the ground for an eternity.

And read this for inspiration :D:D:D http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=18595

Last edited:
I used a normal textured paint roller (the kind with the little loops) with the Duplicolor stuff, and the finish is not flat, but is not abrasive like the Herc finish. I does not tear your skin off when rubbed, and is also much easier to clean (you need a scrub brush to clean the dirt out of Herculiner). The Duplicolor's can is also moreso resealable than the Herc can, my half gallon of Herculiner was solid after several months, and I've had the other stuff for a couple years and it's still good. Whichever you end up using, plan on throwing out whatever you are wearing, and having spots on the ground for an eternity.

And read this for inspiration :D:D:D http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=18595
hahahaha thanks for the headsup

The only brand I've seen at walmart is Plast A Kote.. It's sold by the gallon like 48-50 dollars. They only offer it in black with rough surface..

I used it on my rig and are happy with the results.

Nick

The only brand I've seen at walmart is Plast A Kote.. It's sold by the gallon like 48-50 dollars. They only offer it in black with rough surface..

I used it on my rig and are happy with the results.

Nick

This is also what I used on mine. I thought I prepped pretty good but it has been peeling on me. And the stuff is rough but I like it rough...:gag:

Does anyone know how much it is to get this stuff line-x'd or rhino lined instead of using herculiner? The line-x stuff always seems to look a lot better than herculiner when I look at it up close.

My write up: Herculiner. Almost a year and a half later, I have no fading or peeling AT ALL. I have rubbed the fender flares against several trees trail riding and there is no sign of cracking. Good prep work is the key. I also did a top coat of semi-gloss black (spray bomb) while the Herc was still tacky, which probably explains the lack of fading.
HTH.

Does anyone know how much it is to get this stuff line-x'd or rhino lined instead of using herculiner? The line-x stuff always seems to look a lot better than herculiner when I look at it up close.

I got a quote last Friday from Line-X to do my AJ's Super Rails (off the Jeep, total coverage) and it was $300 to do the pair of them! While I really like the way that it has held up in my stepfather's truck bed, I don't know that I can justify that kind of cost to finish them. I did propose a trade with the guy who quoted the price (he's got a nice looking Rubicon that he's coated some parts on) for some parts I've got laying around that I'm not using; if he bites, then I'll get them coated (well, he'll get them coated in exchange for the parts) since I expect he'll get more of a break on the cost than I would. I guess we'll just have to wait & see. :callme:

Back