• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1988 Factory Service Manual

PacificEd

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I've looked around for a FSM for my 1988 Cherokee. I've found stuff on e-bay that looks like legit reproduction reprints (Bishko). The problem is I have a 1988 Cherokee. All I can seem to find are the 1987 and 1989 years. Which would be better to diagnose issues on an 1988?

My wiring harness looks more like the 1987 than the '89? So I was thinking about getting one for a 1987. Am I overlooking a source to buy a FSM for a 1988?

I have 1989 FSMs, printed by Chrysler. This is what was said to be the proper FSM for my 1987. I have found no discrepancies between the Jeep and what's in either the main book or the electrical book. The books cover most Jeep vehicles for the years, 60/70 Series(us), 10 series(grand wag), 80 series(wrangler).

Last edited:
There were some minor cosmetic changes (wiring colours) between 1987-1998 and 1989-1990. Apart from that, any FSM from RENIX will work with pretty much any RENIX Jeep - whether it's the AMC manual or the ChryCo one. I have both - and I've not seen anything worrisome.

Email me directly for more information. There are also a couple of outfits out there (like Bishko that you've already found) that do authorised reprints of earlier FSMs, and you can buy a print copy from them. Also, secondhand (via eBay) is a viable option - I've gotten plenty that way, and my collection goes back to 1963 so far.

x2 on Bishko. I already have the FSM original prints for my 90, but wanted the CD and didn't want some cheap and illegal junk.

Bishko's reprints and CDs are fully licensed, and the neat part about the CD is PDF format and it is searchable!

It doesn't look like Bishko has any CD earlier than 1989 http://www.autobooksbishko.com/search.cgi?year=1989&make=Jeep&category=Shop+Manual

And their listing for the 1984-1987 print manual doesn't list the electrical section.

Back