• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will a full sized spare wheel fit..

truckeejeeper

NAXJA Forum User
where my "emergency" wheel currently is attached? My spare is inside the rear compartment bolted to the drivers side (stock setup) I have a 1991 sport 5sp. 4.0 4x4. going to mexico on a long trip and think a full sized spare would be prudent. will one fit there? thanks everyone..

i fit a 235/75 15 there with no problems. anything bigger will be tight.

same here...fits fine.

Unless you run a fulltime locker in the rear, a 29" tire will work just fine with the rest of your tires (if you have anything bigger like 30's or 31's).

You won't even know it's different. I've driven upwards of 100 miles on that setup before getting home and getting my original plugged.

Here's a 30x9.50 BFG AT in the stock location on a '00, seat locked back and hatch closed:
IMG_0532.jpg

There are several more photos of the tire fit here:
http://s544.photobucket.com/albums/hh338/tbburg/ at the bottom of the page

Go jeep on here has been able to modify it a little bit and fit a 32" in that spot so a factory size will fit fine. Seems alot of xj's have a full size spare and alot have the little doughnut.

same here...fits fine.

Unless you run a fulltime locker in the rear, a 29" tire will work just fine with the rest of your tires (if you have anything bigger like 30's or 31's).

You won't even know it's different. I've driven upwards of 100 miles on that setup before getting home and getting my original plugged.

Actually, if you are running a lunchbox locker--Lock Rite, Aussie Locker, etc., you will tear things up if you run different size tires on the same axle.

cool. thanks for the info and pic. stock wheel size currently so no probs there. off to the yards for a wheel now. maybe this is a stupid question, but are the wheels around my year (1991) fairly interchangable.I assume yes and Ill be checking when i'm lookin of course but if anyone knows anything off hand that'd be helpful.. thanks all- -TJ

Wheels from 87-01 are all 5x4.5 as well as explorer wheels and wranglers.

I have a full size tire mounted in my '90 and '89 Cherokees; fit fine. Another idea: get a 15" plastic wheel cover and cut out the top 1/2 of it, leaving the outer ring with all the grab clips. This gives you a place to store small stuff such as rags, tire gauge, etc.

Actually, if you are running a lunchbox locker--Lock Rite, Aussie Locker, etc., you will tear things up if you run different size tires on the same axle.

that's what i said..."full-time" aka "automatic". A selectable locker, LSD or open diff will have no issues.

said another way...

automatic (insertable or full carrier) lockers needing the same tie size:
aussie
lockrite
detroit

Selectable or other that can run different tire sizes if need be to
get you home:

open (obviously)
Auburn LSD
Ox, cable actuated
ARB air locker

that's what I was saying...hope that makes more sense...:)

Last edited:
cool. thanks for the info and pic. stock wheel size currently so no probs there. off to the yards for a wheel now. maybe this is a stupid question, but are the wheels around my year (1991) fairly interchangable.I assume yes and Ill be checking when i'm lookin of course but if anyone knows anything off hand that'd be helpful.. thanks all- -TJ

all should be the same lug pattern, and similar enough offset to work for you...I'm pretty sure that anything from Cherokee to the 2006 LJ (long wheel base, two door) are the same 5 on 4.5 (all wranglers and cherokees/commanches)

Before the cherokee is different (5 on 5.5, i think) i.e. CJ5, CJ7, GPW, full-size jeep, etc...

...and the new JK 2door and 4doors are different (5 on 5?.

Last edited:
Another idea: get a 15" plastic wheel cover and cut out the top 1/2 of it, leaving the outer ring with all the grab clips. This gives you a place to store small stuff such as rags, tire gauge, etc.
Thats a cool idea maybe i should jack a hubcap from the many cars around here that are already missing one or two! :D

Excellent photo and clean mount. Did you remove the little steel stand that the compact spare sits on? Does your 30" tire rub against the left side glass? Thanks.

I have my brand new 33x12.5 in the same spot as the OEM. The driver's side of the rear seat doesn't clip in the back anymore but it does fit back there. I have even had a couple adults sit in the back with it back there and they fit fine. I have it held down by bungees at the moment but I plan to extend the OEM lugnut "stud" to hold it correctly in the future.

Shouldn't be hard at all to fit smaller sizes :)

all should be the same lug pattern, and similar enough offset to work for you...I'm pretty sure that anything from Cherokee to the 2006 LJ (long wheel base, two door) are the same 5 on 4.5 (all wranglers and cherokees/commanches)

Before the cherokee is different (5 on 5.5, i think) i.e. CJ5, CJ7, GPW, full-size jeep, etc...

...and the new JK 2door and 4doors are different (5 on 5?.

Be careful with later model XJ, ZJ, TJ, LJ, KJ...they can be 16" wheels. The wheel/tire combo will fit, but it could make matching sizes a little confusing. Also keep an eye out to get the same width.

Old small Jeeps (CJ's, etc) are 5 on 5.5", FSJ are 6 on 5.5". New Jeeps (WJ, JK..?) are 5 on 5". Not sure about Patriot and Compass, but are they real Jeeps?

...get a 15" plastic wheel cover and cut out the top 1/2 of it, leaving the outer ring with all the grab clips. This gives you a place to store small stuff such as rags, tire gauge, etc.
cool trick, gonna try this one!

...Did you remove the little steel stand that the compact spare sits on? Does your 30" tire rub against the left side glass? Thanks.
I had to remove the little stand to fit a 31x10.5 on stock Jeep wheel. It doesnt hit the glass.

I am surprised a 32 or 33 can fit...I was going to say 31 is the very max. I can barely get the rear seat to latch in the upright position, maybe like the 33, the 32 prevents this?

I fit my 31x10.50x15 Goodyear Duratrac with Ravine wheel in the stock location with a little trimming.... took out the bracket and some plastic. It causes no interference with the hatch or rear seat.

Back