• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

O2 Sensor Removal

mg614

NAXJA Forum User
All right - I searched but get the "O2 is either too short or too common" message.
Been a loooong time since I posted here, went from a job with a lot of free time to one without.
Anyway, been working on the Jeep and cannot get the O2 sensor to budge. I have the new one, and figure that once I install it the Jeep will quit throwing the P0138 code and start throwing a code for bad converter. Should I just get the new converter now and save myself the headache? Unless someone has a miracle solution to getting the seized sensor out, I guess some friendly advice is what I need.

Thanks
Matt

If the cat gets hotter than it should or you're hearing a rattle when you hit the cat with something than you should change it. Otherwise i'd leave it in there.

Mapp Gas works wonders for O2 sensors.

Warm up the engine a little then try it.

Thanks guys. I ran the Jeep a few miles to get the exhaust nice and hot with no luck. Used WD40 and PB without luck. Guess I need to try a O2 socket? Big wrench fits on there fine but can't get the leverage maybe. Back to the parts store!

What I did was: First, knew it was going to come out so I sprayed the hell out of it with pb blaster then drove it. Heat sucks the pb in. I did that for a couple days. Didn't even put a wrench on it for two days. Then, when it was time to come out, more blaster, warmed it up, couple wraps with a hammer (not the sensor, use judgement and common sense.) then put a wrench on it. Put my feet on the driver's side tire and the anti-sway bar and pulled. Nearly needed a dentist, I was expecting a wrestling match and pulled as such, it came right loose...I smiled.

Get the correct slotted socket and several days of PB blaster and a breaker bar. Will come right out. Use that socket to install the new one as well. You will thank yourself for having the correct tools.

I'm with Wim on this, just cut the wires.

Had same problem with my o2 sensor tried all the above sugestions with no luck had to take it to shop and they used a torch to break the thing free the threads came out with the old sensor had to retap threads but they got it done.

Back