• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mustang stripes?

don35414

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone tried the mustang stripes on their Cherokee? I am thinking about two wide stripes that would go up the front, over the hood, top and down the back. What are your thoughts?

A tip is that the stripes are NOT the same width down the whole length of the car. I've got a 60's era diagram of how to do the racing stripes on a mustang. I'll try to dig it out and post it up.

Here's the image I was referring too.

LeMans_Stripes.jpg

Le_Mans_stripes.jpg

Last edited:
Depends on the paint scheme used, what color is your Jeep? It would look cool if done right. I think if I had a 2 door XJ I'd put an A-Team stripe on the side.

The body color is stock metallic green, year 99. I was thinking of trying to match the silver (gray) of the emblems. What suggestions do you have? And thank you dagr8tim for the helpful information.

When I paint my Jeep flat black (sometime this year) I intend to put a single red stripe down the driver's centerline.
Inspired by the $1650 option on the Viper ACR. That's the only car stripes I've ever liked.....

Personally, I think stripes will look like ass. Esp if you paint it flat black and put a stripe on it.

I've seen too many 4 cylinder "ricers" running around with an offset stripe down their cars. You may be able to get away with racing (Leman's Stripe) *IF* you have an XJ that is nice and not used on the trail, and you have it done right.

By doing it right he means using R-M paint like spec'd in the book ;) But really, I'm on the fence about how it would look too. The XJ's hood is already tapered down in the front. these striped have a different taper to them. I think it might end up looking super funny and have a really weird funnel effect on your eyes.

Sounds like an interesting idea, one thing you might want to consider is spraying the stripes, then spraying clear over the stripes so they blend. Cost is much more but it looks much better done this way, and gets rid of the decal look. I've thought about doing something similar on a smaller scale, two wide stripes on the hood only, where the body lines are raised a bit.

Why all this talk about spraying stripes? Just buy vinyl stripes. Lay down a coat of wax, use the soapy water to place the stripes, done. The wax makes it easier remove later without damaging your paint.

I've researched striping quite a bit for my Miata on miata.net, and to me the vinyl is THE way to go

Back