• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What did you use to seal up your trimmed rear fenders?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I am finally almost finished with trimming the rear fenders on my 96 XJ.

I have everything trimmed and folded in. Right now I have the area painted in flat black Krylon but I was wondering what should I use to seal up the area? I'm pretty worried about it collecting debris in the winter and rusting.

I was thinking a liberal amount of spray on bedliner, followed by some of that roofing rubber stuff with an adheasive backing you get a home depot, followed by more of the spray on bed liner.

Anyone have any better ideas?

i seen that "Great Stuff" expanding foam used more than once to fill open areas. It's kinda ghetto but it seems to work pretty well. and i dont see why you couldn't paint over it to make it less visible. you can get it at home depot in the building and lumber dept.

I believe there have been threads on this topic before that stated that the expanding foam was not a good idea as it tends to actually absorb moisture. I recently cut and folded my lower quarters as well. My folds were pretty tight so I don't have huge gaps. I was going to pull the inner plastic from the cargo area and try and use some type of silicone (I've already primed and painted the folds) and just lay a pretty healthy bead of it from the inside. I'm not as worried as you though b/c I have a pretty big hole in the floor on the passengers side, outward of the "frame rail" back in that general area that I need to weld in a patch. It's doing far more damage than those folds will.

Whoops I meant to post this in Modified tech.

I didnt bother to prime the folds, I just sanded the factory paint where it chipped off while folding. Then sprayed with the Krylon.

Can anyone think of a brush on sealant? What about some sort of caulk?

maybe a fiberglass patch kit? like you'd use for patching small rust holes. it'd be a little messy, but a pretty permanent fix. i intend to try it someday, if for no other reason than to see how well it works....maybe someone else has tried that already?

i used a silicone calking material designed for very moist areas. just dabbed it on with a latex gloved finger. just be sure there are no metal slivers there to grab into you.

I chose to go the expandable foam route. It seems to have worked well for a while, but it is now starting to break apart. If I was any good with a welder I would tack it all back together. The fiberglass is a good idea, has anyone already done this? I was also thinking of bondo, but am not to sure on how easy that would be to form. More than likely I will use the foamy stuff again, its quick, easy and cheap.

Can anyone think of a brush on sealant? What about some sort of caulk?[/quote]
Caulk would work acceptionally well, just make sure you lay on a bead that is quite similar to one you would do in your bathroom. Smoth it out with a finger and wipe the excess away with a cloth. If it goes through to the outside of the truck, wipe it off and it will look like it was meant to be there after you paint the folds. On the same note you can do the same thing with RTV Gasket maker (red, black, blue) makes no never mind.:firedevil

Look for front and rear fender relocation threads by Semper Fi about two months back.

for structures sake i tig welded the folds in 1 inch sections and used a silicon sealent for aluminum and metal by GE... in a tube use a gun and its done... primed and painted black

This is when ya wish you could edit more than just an hour ago...53guy was the author I was thinking of...thanks kubtastic

Back