• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wrecked 8.8 axle

OkieXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I got this axle for free so I'm not too upset that it is so messed up. My question is should I rebuild this thing and swap it in or just take some parts off it, get rid of it and find another 8.8. What parts should I keep before dumping it besides axle shafts? Take a look:

DSCN0942.jpg

I've seen bent teeth before but not really rust:
DSCN0945.jpg

What is the gear on the back of the ring for?
DSCN0943.jpg

Excuse for gear oil:
DSCN0944.jpg

Ithe gear behind the ring is for ABS. What is exactly wrong with it? Rust?

Looks like it has a LSD in it.

the ring gear and spider gears are all rusty. It has 4.10 gears and the factory locker and its from a 2001 explorer. I don't know if the gears need to be replaced for sure but I would guess so. I think it might be cheaper just to buy another axle and keep this one for spare parts.

detroit or any other full carrier locker and a ring and pinion, in the bag and out the door.

if that was a trail truck, i would just run it, and change the fluid after a couple of runs and see how everything polishes up.

The local pull a part said they'll sell me an explorer axle for ~$125 so I'm going to see what they have there.

I did some searching but couldn't find much info on installing an axle. Does anyone know of any threads or have some tips to help set the pinion angle to avoid vibes?

The local pull a part said they'll sell me an explorer axle for ~$125 so I'm going to see what they have there.

I did some searching but couldn't find much info on installing an axle. Does anyone know of any threads or have some tips to help set the pinion angle to avoid vibes?

Use the search feature. There are a TON of threads dealing with 8.8 swaps.

It really depends on whether you're looking for a axle to build or one to just change perches. If you regear you will get everything short of shafts new anyway.

If the gears are that corroded your carrier side bearings and axle shafts/bearings are probably shot too, they rust just as easy.

i might would run them if it gonna go in a trail only rig (trailer queen as well) and if it take a crap, swap to another 8.8 or just repair it by regear/locker etc etc so you're good

Back