• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas tank question!

demented1992xj

NAXJA Forum User
This may sound stupid, but I just traded for a 1992 XJ and when my gas light comes on or the gauge reads empty, I stop by the gas station, "fill up" with gas, but it will only take 7-9 gallons! Is it possible that the gauge is half a tank off and there is actually 10 gallons in the tank when the light comes on? Never heard of this happening!!! Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but I'm puzzled!!!

exactly, as I understand it, all xj's have the same size tank, however, the depth of the vent tube limits some models to a mere 10 gallons, you can drop the tank (empty of course) and remove the pump assembly, then reach inside and cut off the vent tube, I believe gojeep has a good how to on this, and there are many others, just search around

you are right all the f/i tanks are the same in those years. The way the tank vent is set up will either make it a 13gal(like mine:-( ) or a 20gal tank. The earlier models with carb(2.8 motors) had a differant tank.

Are '89's different? I have one and the book says it has a 15.5 gallon tank. When the light comes on, it takes 14-15 gallons. Am I not really empty? I've never run out of gas, and have always hated the limited range of the small tank.

I've seen a reference in the Haynes manual to 13 and 20 gallon tanks. Of course, it is a Haynes!

I think someone posted here once that the 13 gallon tanks were either MJ or early carb XJs.

Go to your local hardware store and get one like this to fit.
32001.jpg

Back