• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is this?

bigblueishness

NAXJA Forum User
2000 xj 143,000

First of all I dont know much about engines, and I have no clue how to search for a post that has what I am talking about because I dont know what it is called.

I turn on my jeep and hear a sucking/tapping noise. I open the hood and the noise is coming from "this thing" in the left-back side of the engine. It is attached to the firewall and several hoses that suck air in tubes that go to the right side of the engine. All I know, I think, it deals with air pressure?

What is this thing and how do I fix it?

I know that it is not my engine/values tapping.

No picture so I'll go out on a limb here. Charcoal cannister purge valve. Makes a ton of noise. What do you mean by "fix" it. What makes you think it is broken? Is your CEL on? If not, just turn up your radio. If anything is wrong with that polllution stuff, the lights go off. (Federal regulations)

the noise was not there when I bought the jeep, and the tubes that come out of the cannister popped out of the engine, when I put the tubes that popped out back into the engine my check engine light went back off.

or like you said, its just loud

this thing?
IMG_0961.jpg

no idea whats its called or what it does, but mines always made that clicking/sucking sound

Back