• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2wd to 4wd shortcut?

CoastalEd

NAXJA Forum User
Hello wise friends. 1998 xj classic 2wd lifted 3.5 and so much fun. Have done all the maintenance I can, rear main seal, alt upgrade to 160 amp, rod bearings, oil filter gasket, etc....you get it. I lifted it and now want to change to 4x4. Have transfer case 231and drivetrain from same year. Excited to pick up 4wd tranny, and a month later realized it was not 98-2001, plugs don't match. Here's my question, can I use that 4wd tail housing and cut the excess 7 inches (ouch) off my aw4 2wd, and mount the tc to it, thus making 4wd like hack & tap sye? I know I can take both to shop to completely disassemble both making one, but in my head (I know) it would work. Trying to get a hp dana 30 and make it a thing....then the electrical is another issue.

Here's my question, can I use that 4wd tail housing and cut the excess 7 inches (ouch) off my aw4 2wd, and mount the tc to it, thus making 4wd like hack & tap sye?
No, and the output shaft is the last thing to come out during a rebuild!

Screenshot_20181027-174148.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180104-051755.png
    Screenshot_20180104-051755.png
    354.8 KB · Views: 2
Back